X

choking/dying when hot?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choking/dying when hot?

well, i thought my bike was running good...
    94 kat 600

took my bike out for my first actual long ride. got about a little over a mile and i noticed that when i was giving it throttle, the bike was sort of jumping and had very little power. when i pulled in the clutch, the power would drop completely and the bike would shut off. when i pulled into my driveway, the bike shut off immediately and i rolled to a stop. i sat there for a few minutes swearing, then tried to start it.
    bike didnt start at all, so i turned on the choke and it sort of stumbled into an idle. when i turned off choke, it died immediately. so i turned on choke, started the bike again, then started driving up my driveway (about 100 yards) after getting a few feet, i turned off choke. bike chugged a little bit for about 10 yards, then ran normally. i pulled up to my house, the bike idled for about 3 seconds at a stop and shut off.

i just replaced all my plugs. its getting good spark. all cylinders seem to be the same temp. i cleaned the carbs twice before starting to ride it. no rust in floats, all the pilots are clean.

i did forget to adjust my fuel air screws, however..and the carbs need synched. but that wouldnt cause it to be shutting off when it gets hot, would it?
    the petcock seems to be operating normally..any ideas?
    Hammer:
    Apply directly to the forehead!

alright, now i'm confused. here is todays events:

3:30 I take the bike out. after about a mile, it starts bogging down. When I get to my driveway about a quarter mile later, it shuts off completely, wont start again for a few minutes until i use the choke.

5:00 I check all my lines and everything, and take my bike out again to make sure all cylinders are getting hot, and to check if it will start again on prime. I dont even make it a mile and the bike loses all power and shuts off. after waiting 5 minutes, the bike starts with choke. i drive for another quarter mile, it shuts off again. I put it in a parking lot. Bike refuses to start at all. I walk down the street to my girlfriends.

6:00 my girlfriend drives me to my bike. starts up immediately, no choke. i ride to my house (a mile and a half) absolutely no problems. runs strong. just to make sure, i drive a little further, then turn around and give it full throttle on the way back. bike runs perfect.

what the hell? i'm confused. i'm kind of worried to take it out again, in case the trip home was a fluke. overheating might be possible? it was 90 degrees + today, and i dont know how well oil-cooled bikes deal with that.

any suggestions at all i would freakin love. i thought maybe the coils, but then the plugs would foul, right? all my plugs look clean. just slightly damp with gas.
    Last edited by toejam; 07-16-2008, 09:23 PM.
    Hammer:
    Apply directly to the forehead!

Comment

Sounds like fuel starvation. Since prime did not help, and you were just doing work on the carbs, I'd look at carb idle circuit and float valve and pilot circuit.

Comment

Working...
      X