X

A little headshake anyone?????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little headshake anyone?????

I have two questions for anyone who will try to help.....

Okay first, I recently put F3 clipons on my 750 kat, and I love them BUT now I get a little headshake during full acceleration. It didnt do this before and I didnt raise or lower the bike when I put the clipons on. I had already lowered the bike before hand. It also shakes its little head when I close the throttle for just a second then stops. None of this is close to a tankslapper but kindof unnerving to say the least.

The other thing is that here recently ive notice "tire whine" or "road noise" from the front tire. The tire is only about 1000 mile old and in good condition. And ive never noticed the whine till recently!!

Now Ive tried to put 2 and 2 together and maybe the font has gotten out of balance and making the noise, and making my head shake.... What do you all think????

Thanks
    Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES

Comment

When you installed the clip-ons, did you reinstall the original (heavy) bar-end weights? They play heavily into the stability by being at the outsides of balance equation.

The steering stem bearings may need adjustment or replacement, and/or you may also need to have your tire rebalanced.

But in the bigger picture, yes, your clip-ons brought on this behavior... you've changed both the weighting at the top of the front suspension, the distance out (from the center) the weight is applied and changed the rider bias...

Good Luck!
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        When you installed the clip-ons, did you reinstall the original (heavy) bar-end weights? They play heavily into the stability by being at the outsides of balance equation.

The steering stem bearings may need adjustment or replacement, and/or you may also need to have your tire rebalanced.

But in the bigger picture, yes, your clip-ons brought on this behavior... you've changed both the weighting at the top of the front suspension, the distance out (from the center) the weight is applied and changed the rider bias...

Good Luck!
        =-= The CyberPoet

No I did not install the bar weights/ends because the kat bar ends are different than the F3's. I have been needing to order some but been lazy!!! So I guess that has alot to do with it. I will also get the front balanced asap.

The head bearings are fairly new, How do mean "adjust them" can you elaborate!!!

Thanks.....
        Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AkBigN
          YES

Ill have to get back to you on that one

Comment

it could also be that nothing is wrong. the original bars had rubber dampers didn't they ? and now your directly mounted to the forks.

lot's more feedback.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by blkpitbull
              Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              The steering stem bearings may need adjustment or replacement
              The head bearings are fairly new, How do mean "adjust them" can you elaborate!!!
              There is a stock spec for the torque on the nut that holds them in place -- if the torque is significantly out of spec (i.e. - too loose), it might cause such issues. If the races are worn (notchiness on turning the steering without load), or the torque is significantly over what it should be (overloading the bearings for a longer period of time), or the bike has been wheelied or wrecked (and damaged the bearings or races as a result), the bearings and races probably need to be replaced.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                it could also be that nothing is wrong. the original bars had rubber dampers didn't they ? and now your directly mounted to the forks.

lot's more feedback.

tim

I Have thought of this too. It definately feels alot better in the corners, you can tell exactly what the front is doing, BUT when accelerating out of a corner the head shakes begin. Its not as bad as it sounds, just shakes its head alittle bit......I just didnt know if it may be normal since I put the clipons on, and just didnt feel ot when the rubber mounted stock bars were on. Maybe the stock bars cancelled this out..... Idunno

Comment

I added F3 clipons to my Kat and it got better..
                  Yes the weights are very different. In fact they are part of the grip. I never had stock weights...
                  No head shake here though...

Comment

Originally posted by blkpitbull
                    Originally posted by trinc

lot's more feedback.

tim

I Have thought of this too. It definately feels alot better in the corners, you can tell exactly what the front is doing, BUT when accelerating out of a corner the head shakes begin. Its not as bad as it sounds, just shakes its head alittle bit......I just didnt know if it may be normal since I put the clipons on, and just didnt feel ot when the rubber mounted stock bars were on. Maybe the stock bars cancelled this out..... Idunno
                    head shake sucks because it 'could be' a lot things
                    tire pressure
                    tire balance
                    tire cupped
                    head bearings
                    brake issue - warp'd disk or brake pad dragging on one side
                    fork issue
                    rear tire alignment

and since it happens only when the front end is unloaded - hard acceleration - it's tough to pinpoint.

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X