X

Basic Info of Jetting Kits

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Info of Jetting Kits

I'm new to the aftermarket world of motorcycle. I am trying figure out what jetting kits actually does and some of the more trusted companies to buy them from. I have a 04 kat 600. Any info that ya all could provide would be much appreciated.

jet kits allows more fuel to be pulled into the cylinder.

factory
    ivan
    dynojet

tim

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
      ( Reposted from http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6255 )
      Stage 1 JetKit - somewhat better power all over than stock, usually some or complete removal of the power output dip around 4200 RPM. Improved low-end torque. Removes places where OEM manufacturer (Suzuki in our case) intentionally designed the fueling to go lean for EPA testing and/or sound control purposes (hot & cold idle, plus somewhere between 3800 and 4600). Purchase of additional equipment not required to use. Designed for the typical rider who wants a more robust machine. If installed in a bone-stock bike, shouldn't require any additional tuning (although tuning is still advisable to get the most out of any kit). Gas mileage decrease by about 3% - 8% compared to bone stock.
      Trinc listed the companies that make jetkits for your bike. The DynoJet brand kit is sometimes also sold under the K&N label (they used to resell DynoJet brand kits as their own, but stopped selling jetkits altogether when the relationship broke down). I personally have tried the K&N/DynoJet kit and the Ivan's Performance Products jetkit, and think the Ivan's is head-and-shoulders above the DynoJet kit. Note that Ivan's website isn't up to date, and the Kat 600 kit for the 98-05 models is available. I haven't tried the Factory Pro brand jetkits for the Kat 600 yet.

KNOW THIS:
      For the 98-05 Kats, there are no stage 2, stage 3 nor stage 7 kits available from any vendor to my knowledge.
      Stage 1.1 is a misnomer -- it is the same as a stage 1, just some of the parts (the needles) are made of titanium rather than steel.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

( Reposted from http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6255 )
        Stage 1 JetKit - somewhat better power all over than stock, usually some or complete removal of the power output dip around 4200 RPM. Improved low-end torque. Removes places where OEM manufacturer (Suzuki in our case) intentionally designed the fueling to go lean for EPA testing and/or sound control purposes (hot & cold idle, plus somewhere between 3800 and 4600). Purchase of additional equipment not required to use. Designed for the typical rider who wants a more robust machine. If installed in a bone-stock bike, shouldn't require any additional tuning (although tuning is still advisable to get the most out of any kit). Gas mileage decrease by about 3% - 8% compared to bone stock.
        Trinc listed the companies that make jetkits for your bike. The DynoJet brand kit is sometimes also sold under the K&N label (they used to resell DynoJet brand kits as their own, but stopped selling jetkits altogether when the relationship broke down). I personally have tried the K&N/DynoJet kit and the Ivan's Performance Products jetkit, and think the Ivan's is head-and-shoulders above the DynoJet kit. Note that Ivan's website isn't up to date, and the Kat 600 kit for the 98-05 models is available. I haven't tried the Factory Pro brand jetkits for the Kat 600 yet.

KNOW THIS:
        For the 98-05 Kats, there are no stage 2, stage 3 nor stage 7 kits available from any vendor to my knowledge.
        Stage 1.1 is a misnomer -- it is the same as a stage 1, just some of the parts (the needles) are made of titanium rather than steel.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        cyber - since you've tried both the k&n and Ivans i like to hear the differences you found between the two.
        adjustable needles ?
        new slide springs ?
        what jets do you get ?
        whats he state for air/fuel mix & float height ?

tim

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
          cyber - since you've tried both the k&n and Ivans i like to hear the differences you found between the two.
          adjustable needles ?
          new slide springs ?
          what jets do you get ?
          whats he state for air/fuel mix & float height ?
          Ivan's kit comes with new 110's and replacement stainless steel needles that have a complex bevel to them. Install the needles on the 2nd clip (5 clip positions available), install the jets, drill out the pilot screw covers if there, set to (his spec) 4 turns out -- I found 3.5 turns out better on both Malloc's 750 and my own Kat 600.
          No adjustments to the float height, no replacement springs (although he suggested cutting the stock springs down by a third in a phone conversation I had with him -- I didn't).

Differences based on my experiences:

Stock Mikuni set-up: reasonable low end, kind of weak around 3.8k - 4.7k RPM, very good for top speed (covers 115 to 135 mph faster than any of the kits I've tried).

K&N: fattens up the low-end quite a bit, a smaller increase in the mid-range, made the very top end quite sluggish to me (i.e. - above about 110 mph with stock gearing). The shop that put these in for me back in '02 when I first went that route said they tuned/dyno'd it for proper tuning... And it sucked fuel on me heavily at triple-digit speeds.

Ivan's: The bike sounds, acts differently than either of the above. Meatier growl on the exhaust (almost like removing one of the stock exhaust baffles -- not as loud as an aftermarket can, but for someone use to the stock exhuast, the difference is definitely audible), minor air intake howl, a heavy added dose of power through everything from idle through the peak torque around 9800 RPM. Faster through the whole range, although it starts to lose out to the stock needles above about 115 mph (gets you up to that much faster). Particularly noticeable difference in the 3 to 7k range, where the stock mikuni set-up is weak, but still more power than either of the other configs up to that 9800 RPM line.

I haven't fine-tuned it on an exhaust analyzer yet, but I did discuss the 115mph-and-over issue with Ivan and I will look into it after I find out what it's doing up there (i.e. - going lean or rich, etc).

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

hey cyber ive got the kn installed and it runs and pulls from start to stop

except for if i have the throttle at about 7/8 open it runs great and pulls hard the whole time but if its at 8/8 or full throttle after i get to about 100mph it loses alot of power but if i back off just a hair it picks right back up

The rest of the time it pulls like crazy through all the gear

is that the problem that you talking about

Ive got a 91 750 with overbored engine, kn pods, full exhaust system, and ignition advancer, also will it make a difference when i put the new super coils on it(accel)

its also geared 13/47 right now
            The Katana's Big Brother
            1999 1200s StreetFighter Bandit

Comment

I have Dale Walkers kit. Pulls hard all the way.
              Bike is sold

Comment

Originally posted by Spedee
                I have Dale Walkers kit. Pulls hard all the way.
                i thought dale just used a washer under the stock needle ?

tim

Comment

Washers and new jets. I have 125's/4 washers/ 3.5 turns of the pilot/
                  K&N large donut and the stepped header hand built by Dale. Oh and not to forget the Hindle!
                  Bike is sold

Comment

Working...
                  X