Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Do I need a 32mm socket for sprocket removal on a pre?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a 32mm socket for sprocket removal on a pre?

Read the sprocket how-to for posts, it said 32mm. I am assuming that it is 32mm as well for the pre, but want to make sure. If it *is* 32, i'm in luck because my friend just bought one a couple days ago to break the cv axle on his car, so he can bring it to work tomorrow! w00t.

32mm on my pre 750. i used a half inch drive pneumatic impact with the old chain (being replaced) locking up the sprocket. save the old chain for torqing the new sprocket back on, both the large nut and the small locking bolt
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Yup I still have the old chain on. However, I already replaced the rear sprocket and put the wheel back on (I should have broken the sprocket out before I took my wheels in to have tires mounted). Do you think it would be OK to leave the new sprocket on the rear while breaking the front sprocket off? Or is there a possibility of damaging it?

I guess I could take the wheel off again, and swap it to the old sprocket, if i really *had* to...

Whats your thoughts.

Comment

if you use an impact it shouldnt be a problem as you're just keeping the shaft the sprocket is on from turning. however, if you use gorilla mechaniks with a large breaker bar and brute force, you might stretch or damage the chain.

are you changing sprockets but NOT put a new chain on?? an old chain will wear the new sprockets much much quicker. a stretched bad chain will chew the crap outta new sprockets PDQ.

fyi, your wheel at the very least will have to come ALL the way forward to get the front sprocket off, and even then may not have the chain slack. you might wind up taking the wheel off to get enough chain slack to get the front sprocket off.
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.

Comment

nope i was just leaving the old chain on to break the sprocket off, then putting a new chain on. the thing is i've already put the new sprocket on the wheel and put the wheel on (just tonight, havent riden it or anything)

and also, couldnt I just take the chain off of the rear sprocket to give enough slack to get the front sprocket off, after its broker free?
          Last edited by cut_cutta; 07-01-2008, 11:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

i got the impression you were not taking the old chain off at all. assuming you have a master link or cut the old chain off, no problem. leave it on and just hold the rear brake to lock up the whole mess USING A IMPACT. gorilla mechanics, get the new stuff out of the way and find a way to hold the old chain.

if hte new chain is continuious(sp?) link you're stuck pulling he swing arm to get it on.

when i installed and torqued the new front sprocket i had my new chain on, rear axle snugged, and just put on the rear brake to lock up the whole mess. the other option is to wrap the old chain around the new sprocket and get it held firm so you can torque the large nut and locking bolt. then install the new chain.

Comment

Working...
            X