Cylinder #1 not firing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder #1 not firing

Hello,

I'm new here. I've just recently picked up a low mileage '94 Katana 600. I have gotten the bike running, but cyl. #1 is not firing. I'm not real sure how to go about fixing this. Is there a way I can have the coil checked? If it is bad, are they still available? Are there any good sites on the net for picking up parts?

Thanks,

Jeff
    Jeff

Ok first basic question and I'm sure you did this but I have to ask. Are you using new spark plugs? If not try that first.

Second, you should be able to take the coils (2 of them) to a lawnmower repair shop and have them tested. If one is bad I recommend replacing both. A late model set (98+) will fit and work just fine.

Ad for online parts try these two places:

Honda Suzuki Kawasaki Yamaha OEM motorcycle atv and side by side parts with a full line of aftermarket accessories.

Welcome to KR.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Clean
      Ok first basic question and I'm sure you did this but I have to ask. Are you using new spark plugs? If not try that first.

Second, you should be able to take the coils (2 of them) to a lawnmower repair shop and have them tested. If one is bad I recommend replacing both. A late model set (98+) will fit and work just fine.

Ad for online parts try these two places:

Honda Suzuki Kawasaki Yamaha OEM motorcycle atv and side by side parts with a full line of aftermarket accessories.

Welcome to KR.
      Thanks for the info.

I haven't put new plugs in. I'll have to do that. They looked fine when I took them out to check them. I should have put new ones in to begin with.

I am going to run out at lunch to have the one coil checked. Hopefully it's just the plug.

Thanks again.
      Jeff

Comment

Well , you could also swap the wires from 1&4 and see if 4 stops firing ...
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

spark plugs would definately be the first thing to check
          Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

If a coil were bad, your #4 cylinder would also not fire (if #1 was out), so that's not the likely culprit. You might ensure the wire isn't shorting-out, that the carb is providing fuel and/or check the compression in the cylinder in case the rings or valves are causing problems.
            '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Working...
            X