X

Modifying a 95 750 katana engine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying a 95 750 katana engine

I'm thinking about modifying the engine in my 95 750 as opposed to getting another bike.I was thinking about going with bigger cams (I've been told that the cams from a air cooled gsxr 750 or 1100 engine will work),and head work,Which would include porting/polishing the head. The one shop i called that supposedly "specialized" in suzuki performance told me i'd be wasting my time doing that to a katana,So i was wondering what you guys thought and if anybody here has done this type of work to their bike and how much it cost them,Thanks
    97 TL1000S,K&N filter,Micron exaust cans,Ceramic coated headers (black),Air box mod,+2 Rear sprocket ,Chrome Rims,Metzeler M1 tires,Polished Chain Guard,Heel Guards,Clutch and Brake Levers and Brake arm

ah alot of people do it, if you have a 750 you can do what i was planning on doing hte gsxr cams, head then do a 771 big bore kit, get a differnt cam so its a lil bit more displament, and then go to town with the gearing and tranny setup. i was also gonna use the new crank as a base for my new stronger rods for the nitrous i was gonna put in but its all just a dream.

Comment

or you can do what i have and use the 813 kit with a full yoshimira exhaust, KN pods, 5 degree ignition advancer, and lower gearing and she flies and screems now!

and soon bigger cams and super coils
      The Katana's Big Brother
      1999 1200s StreetFighter Bandit

Comment

Thanks for those suggestions,But i wasn't realy looking to get that in-debt with mods,(mainely because i don't have that kind of $$$)I was just looking to upgrade to more aggresive cams and doing some head work,And i was wondering How much of a diffirence these mods would make.
        97 TL1000S,K&N filter,Micron exaust cans,Ceramic coated headers (black),Air box mod,+2 Rear sprocket ,Chrome Rims,Metzeler M1 tires,Polished Chain Guard,Heel Guards,Clutch and Brake Levers and Brake arm

Comment

Well cams and head work pretty much go hand in hand. If you want the most bang for your buck you really should do both. Now when you say you don't want to spend that much money I'm guessing you haven't priced a set of after market cams for your bike. $$$$ Just so you know Suzuki had 2 different types of cam set up in 1995 on the 750 Kat. You need sot pull your valve cover and count your cam lobes. If you have 4 on each camshaft you have the forked rocker type head. If you have 8 you have the shim type head. You want the forked rocker type!!! The shim type head is considered more fragile and I can't think of anyone who makes an after market cam set for them.

Yes a set of GSXR cams from a 750 or 1100 from 1986-1989 will drop in. The 88/89 750 cams had the best profile, at least that is what I was able to determine from my research when I built my 771.

Comment

Speaking of the 771 Mr clean,I just looked at the wiseco 771 and 813 kits on pistons-online.com,And i was wondering if you or katana91 or duffdaddy could give me some of your thoughts on the kits as far as rideability,Dependability, What all has to be done,And if you can smoke any GSXR's,CBR's,Ninja's and R1's/6's

Comment

I used the Wiseco 771 kit for a 1992 GSXR 750. If you want more details do a search I have posted all the steps before. As for ride ability, my bike runs smooth as silk. No more heat than normal. I do have to run 91+ fuel though. And as for smoking other bikes I can hang with late model GSXR 750's. I beat a GSXR 1000 in a straight up drag race but the n00b on it didn't know how to ride.

Comment

The one shop i called that supposedly "specialized" in suzuki performance told me i'd be wasting my time doing that to a katana,So i was wondering what you guys thought
                I'd tend to agree. If you consider what you can sell your Kat for, plus the extra money you'd spend on the engine work, you'd almost definitely be money and performance ahead to just upgrade to a more current motorcycle. If it's a more "performance" experience you're after... You could look at an older GSXR750 SRAD, Kaw ZX9, FZR1000, etc. There's all sorts of reasonably priced models that will outperform an oil-cooled Suzuki 750 (gixxer or kat).
                '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Well,I've also been looking at the SV1000s

Comment

Hell, the TL1000S is a great buy too! I've seen nice ones in the $3500 range.
                    '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

drivability is still great with mine check out the 813 kit thread in this form for all my informatiion
                      The Katana's Big Brother
                      1999 1200s StreetFighter Bandit

Comment

Thanks,I'll check out the thread,And Yes,I was actually thinking about a TL 1000 too,But I'd like to get the TL 1000R

Comment

I put 89 1100 cams in my 01 750 kat and it softened the bottom end. I am waiting till im done with school to finish the carb set up. The bike at the high end goes fast. A lot quicker than before.
                          Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

I just beefed up a 95 750 and a 97 750 within the last two weeks.

(Both already had Vance & Hines SS2R systems)
                            I added:
                            CARBS
                            Dyno Jet kit # DJ3130
                            Used the 144 jets
                            Set the E-clips at position # 3 on the air needles
                            Of course, cleaned the carbs
                            Of course, adjusted the floats to 14.6mm
                            New allen head bolts
                            Tapped and installed the newer orifice reducers on the air slides

K&N air filter with larger doughnut

Resynched carbs

Then added 14 tooth front sprocket

And.........Vance & Hines Ignition Advancer

BOTH bikes absolutley SCREAMED!

MUCH faster...............MUCH! 8)
                            I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                            Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                            Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

144 jets, what are stock?
                              Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

Working...
                              X