X

new bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new bike

well im a beginenr driver and i just bought my new bike a 01 katana 750 and im not sure on how its supposed to idle but compared to a 600 gsx-r my bike seems like it doesnt idle correctly any hints and tricks to see if it has an idle problem ?
    RAMON

Should idle fairly smoothly somewhere around 1150-1250 RPM once the engine oil is hot; 1300 - 1400 for a California specific model.

Remember, this is an oil-air cooled motorcycle, so let it come up to full temp before you rev the crud out of it...

There's an thumb-wheel adjuster close to your left knee where you're seated that will turn the idle up and down.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

and word to the wise.. u dont need to let it idle for an eternity every time you start it up. fouling out plugs and having to clean your carbs as a result will teach that lesson pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed
        and word to the wise.. u dont need to let it idle for an eternity every time you start it up. fouling out plugs and having to clean your carbs as a result will teach that lesson pretty quickly.
        Unless your idle circuit is too rich, that shouldn't be the case. Unless you're talking about idling with the choke on.

You should let your oil get hot before actually riding off. A good five minute or so warm up is a good thing.

Start the bike with the choke when necessary. Adjust the choke to about a 2000 rpm idle for maybe 30 seconds. Turn the choke off as soon as you can and yet still have the bike idle without stalling.
        -Steve

Comment

Working...
        X