X

breather fliter when and why should they be used

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breather fliter when and why should they be used

ive them on car and on bike but i still dont know exactly what there used for and should i be using on
    "LOOK EARL ITS KARMA'S ARMY MADE UP OF THE PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD"

I'd say it's to keep your crankcase from sucking crud into it.
    '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Adding a breather filter can reduce residue build-up in the intake manifold/carbs. I think they are most often used to unclutter the engine bay and give a "trick" look. When using a breather filter, piston blow-by is not removed from the valve cover with suction, which is normally provided by the air flow into the engine. These gases are released into the air/engine bay, meaning that pollution levels are increased and the engine bay will become dirty with the oily residue. Engines with a breather filter often smell like they are not running clean.

I have spoken with many friends who installed breather filters on their cars and had nothing but problems afterwards. I don't see hard evidence that supports the filter leading to their problems, but they all insisted that the breather filter was the cause. Hearing what they went through, I would never put a breather filter onto one of my engines.
      Ride like your life depends on it.

Comment

Hey , I got K&N pods , so a breather filter is a must . Yeah , I DO get that oily residue crap , and it sometimes smells a bit , but waht else you gonna do with a setup like that ? If I DI have a stock airbox though , that's sure as he77 where that hose would be routed , though !
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

It goes like this:

Every time your cylinder detonates, some of the fuel gets pushed against the walls (just a little tiny bit in most cases). As the piston sweeps up and down, it carries away that tiny bit and it falls with the oil down into the oil pan with the oil that carried it away.
          Once there, it heats up and turns back into a vapor again, which then rises to the top of the engine normally. To keep these vapors from building up to explosive quantities in the oil passages, the stock engine draws the vapors off the top of the valve covers back into the air box (through the vent tube between the valve covers and the airbox), to get recycled (burned off) my mixing with the inbound air going through the carbs. If too much fuel is ending up in the oil (such as a stuck carb float causing fuel to run into a cylinder when the bike is parked), the vapors will reliquify in the airbox (due to condensation from being cooled by the in-rushing air) instead of being drawn back into the carbs, and you end up with an airbox full of oily-fuel... One of the reasons the airbox has a drain tube (to let you drain out any build-up).

Under certain set-ups that eliminate the airbox (the pod-filter set-up mentioned by MD86), there is no provision to route the vent gases back into the intake for the bike; in those situations, you place a breather filter on that opening on the valve covers to keep debris from falling in, and hope that it will vent sufficient vapors that spontaneous combustion in the oil galley won't occur.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ok me and md86 have the same setup wit the podsbut im not sure where i need the the breater filter does one have any pic of the setup

Comment

a

gather 'round, children

Comment

Then there's always the catch-can option as illustrated on my Buell.
                Attached Files
                '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

For all circumstances, I much prefer the catch can method. That is the way to go for pollution control, a clean intake, reduced oil contaminants, etc.

Is that a Red Bull can? A catch can should be sealed on both ends; one end coming front the valve cover, the other going to the intake.

Red Bull does give you wings, however.
                  Ride like your life depends on it.

Comment

HA! It works as a motorcycle part and makes a great Vodka mixer...

Actually, the Buell's stock intake system aims the cylinder-head breather outlet straight at the carb intake. When you replace the air-cleaner, you pretty much have to buy a breather kit that re-routes it elsewhere. The big benefit is that the big v-twin likes to blow oil in there when you rev it alot, thus accelerating plug replacement. The can is just a good way to keep oil and crud from getting everywhere, and the Red Bull size is perfect

Comment

has any one every ran a breather out of the back of there bike like around the tag area to kill the smell

Comment

Originally posted by bigtwan251975
                        has any one every ran a breather out of the back of there bike like around the tag area to kill the smell
                        I never noticed a issue with smell.

Well, Corey smells, but no strange smell from my bike.
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

WHEN I WAS RIDING MY BIKE LAST NIGHT IT SEEM TO HAVE A SMELL IT MITE OF BEEN OIL BURN OF THE MANIFOLD I HAVE TO CHECK

Comment

Or maybe gas from the vent area around your tank.
                            Kan-O-Gixxer!
                            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                            -Ohlins Susupension
                            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bigtwan251975

If you can smell what's coming out of your breather on a regular basis, there's an issue with your engine, such as a bad carb float or worn rings, or you have the nose of a bloodhound...

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X