X

boiling antifreeze

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boiling antifreeze

I've got a Katana and use this site all the time, probably too much as I might be getting annoying. I have another problem though, actually its my friends problem. He has 1998 Ninja 900, the problem is the antifreeze is boiling over. He rides the bike and his temp gauge never gets higher than 3 or 4 which he says is normal but when he shuts the bike down the antifreeze is boiling and just pours out the drainage hose. He already flushed the system and it didn't work, though he made need to do it again more thoroughly. Thermostat is the next thing we are going to try. Anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. It sucks right now because both of our bikes are broken down, well maybe not, atleast I can't get jealous because he can't ride either.

Suonds like a bad thermostat. It is fairly common for those to fail. Another reason to love Katanas, none of that stuff to worry about!!!

Comment

it's the thermostat dude. Well, it's a liquid cooled bike, I really have no idea. In a car, that would be the thermostat.

Comment

I would check the Thermostat (if the Ninja 900 has one) to see if that is working properly. Also I would check the Cooling fans and make sure they are wired correctly. If the Fans are working properly, and the thermostat is functioning properly. There is one last check - make sure the fan is facing the correct way. if there is no fan on the bike- might be time for an upgrade and install a cooling fan or two
        Just my two centss

Comment

If it's boiling over when he shuts down, it could also be a bad cap and the system simply isn't holding pressure when it heat soaks.

Comment

all that sounds good....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
            X