X

2005 Katana 600 Won't Idle?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Katana 600 Won't Idle?

So today I started my bike with the choke and let it run for a few minutes. I shut off the choke and noticed it was idling very low. I thought it was just me so I took off and the bike ran great.

As I continue to ride during the day the bike actually shuts off as I am coming to a stop. Weird, started back up and still ran good. I park and leave it in neutral idling and the bike goes to a low idle and eventually stalls. It continues to do this and I decided to go home and it still has the same problems.

It has never done this before, the bike has less then 2000mi as I don't ride all to often, it does not have any mods besides a slip on.

What should I do?

Thanks!
    Two Wheels: 2005 Katana 600

Four Wheels: 1995 Turbo Nissan Maxima

sit on the bike, reach your left hand down. Thats the idle adjuster screw, turn the idle up

Comment

+1

And put some fuel injector cleaner (techron) in with your next tank of fuel.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

This actually happened to me a couple of weeks ago, so I read through the forums. Seems I was letting the bike warm up with the starter-assist open which caused the plugs to foul over time. I read not to do this when I first got the bike, but I obviously forgot about it.

I changed the plugs (they were pretty burned when I pulled them) and now everything seems to be running great.

I'm going to run some techron through this weekend for good measure.

Good luck!

Brian
        --
        Brian Johnson
        http://brianjo.spaces.live.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brianjo View Post
          This actually happened to me a couple of weeks ago, so I read through the forums. Seems I was letting the bike warm up with the starter-assist open which caused the plugs to foul over time. I read not to do this when I first got the bike, but I obviously forgot about it.
          The rules for choke (enricher circuit) use, as listed in the owner's manual, are:
          Only enough to run the engine at 2K RPM or below;
          Only use for 30 seconds maximum.

In some very cold-weather climates, running it longer on choke may be necessary (say it's 38 degrees F outside), but if so, try to reduce the RPM to compensate, and make sure you get in a nice long ride afterwards.

Spark plugs are like self-cleaning ovens -- once they get all the way up to temp, if the mixture isn't too far off, they'll self-clean, burning off all fouling. Choke use loads up the fouling very quickly...

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
          X