No announcement yet.
X

More HP?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think a slip-on style exhaust was available for the original Kat, though I may be wrong. Kerker and Vance and Hines were the most widely used exhausts, though there might have been other lesser known varieties. A jetkit and K&N individual air-filter kit would be the low-hanging fruit as far as attaining more power. From there, your next economical step would be installing a big-bore kit, which is widely available for the old GSX engine (due to it's extensive use as in drag-racing). Then you can do cams, carbs, etc. on down the line... My advice, before you go spending ALOT of money doing this stuff is ta take a ride on a $4000 1200 Bandit and see if it's not more of what you're looking for in the power (and better handling) department. Of course, it's looks aren't as distinctive...

BTW, I used to have an old Hans Muth Kat 1000 myself a couple years back. I bought it and sold it for profit mostly. I couldn't stand the weak brakes, the slow handling, skinny tires, and poor riding position. I think it had ample power for what it was though. I guess overall, I was just too used to more modern machinery to apprciate it to the fullest.
    '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

[quote="The CyberPoet"]Q: When you say you have an exhaust on there, is a full end-to-end replacement exhaust (including aftermarket headers), or just a different end-can?

It has an aftermarket 4/1 header,but the can i am not really sure what it is,it may be the origonal,shortened .My problem is finding a small can,as i would like to show off the single side mod ,everything i have looked at is just to long
      Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipKid
        I don't think a slip-on style exhaust was available for the original Kat, though I may be wrong. Kerker and Vance and Hines were the most widely used exhausts, though there might have been other lesser known varieties. A jetkit and K&N individual air-filter kit would be the low-hanging fruit as far as attaining more power. From there, your next economical step would be installing a big-bore kit, which is widely available for the old GSX engine (due to it's extensive use as in drag-racing). Then you can do cams, carbs, etc. on down the line... My advice, before you go spending ALOT of money doing this stuff is ta take a ride on a $4000 1200 Bandit and see if it's not more of what you're looking for in the power (and better handling) department. Of course, it's looks aren't as distinctive...

BTW, I used to have an old Hans Muth Kat 1000 myself a couple years back. I bought it and sold it for profit mostly. I couldn't stand the weak brakes, the slow handling, skinny tires, and poor riding position. I think it had ample power for what it was though. I guess overall, I was just too used to more modern machinery to apprciate it to the fullest.
        I have done mods to correct these isuses and dont really want to spend a fortune just to get more power,i would just buy another bike,i do really like the look of the old kats though .As for modern machinery,the 82 kat is my newest bike ,all of my others are 50s/60s Brit bikes
        Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

Working...
        X