X

No electirical power please help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No electirical power please help

I have an 02 Katana. The bike does not like to start, it is like the battery does not have power or something. The bike is in good shape, I take care of it real well. The carbs are perfectly cleaned, new spark plugs and whatnot. When I try to start it, it will crank about 3-4 times and if it doesn't start the battery is then dead and the only way to start it is to push it and pop the clutch. I have bought 2 batteries in the past 3 months I've had the batteries tested and they are okay, I have no clue what the problem is and it is driving me crazy. If anyone has some insight please let me know!! The weather is beautiful and I really want to ride!!
    First to go in, last to come out.
    -Marines

Have you checked your plugs. If your plugs are fouled out it will not want to start. I would check there first. make sure you have spark then make sure you have fuel. Hope this helps
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I don't think that it is the spark plugs, when I get it started pushing it, it runs fine but when I try to use the starter it cranks about 4 times and the battery is dead. A battery should be good for a whole lot more than just 4 cranks.
      -Marines

Comment

OK, if the battery stops turning over the starter after four cranks, then something else is wrong. To figure it out, we're going to need a little more info:
        (A) When it stops turning over and you hit the starter button again, are you getting any noise (clicking noise for example)?
        (B) If you take a volt meter to the battery, what is it reading with the engine off and again with the engine on?

My preliminary guess is that the button for the start is probably defective and needs to be cleaned or possibly one of the wires to it is loose; my second guess is that the starter relay is on the way out.

BUT...
        If you are the type who tends to ride only very short distances (under 5 miles), or start the bike just to hear it & then shut it off again, or if you tend to not start the bike for weeks at a pop, the batteries could very easily be running low on energy because they're not getting the chance to recharge. If this is the case, buy yourself a battery tender (or any other float/trickle charger rated under 1-amp hour charge rate) and leave it hooked to the bike when you're not using it.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Could it also be a loose connection at the battery? I had this issue, where 1 screw was too long and bottoming out, not allowing the connection to be tight. Sometimes I had power, sometimes I didn't it was random, until I added some washers and never had the problem again.

Comment

DOubtful that it would be a connection at the battery if he has bought 2 batteries in 3 months. If the dead batteries are testing out ok, it sounds to me like they're just not charging, like maybe the alternator/stator is bad. I'd check voltage at battery before starting it, then after it's started and see if the voltage goes up once it's running.
            John,
            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
            sigpic

Comment

Along with battery voltages while off, on, and starter pushed, I"d also like to see what kinda amp draw is on the battery. put the meter with the red lead on the frame ground and the black lead on the negative battery teriminal. watch the readings with it off, ign. on, and with the starter button pushed. If the amps are low or normal, bad starter switch, solinoid, etc. high amp draw, possible bad starter. continuous high draw, short in the system somewhere.
              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Thanks for the help, I just left to go to California on vacation for a bit. I'll test out the stuff you mentioned above. And get back to you when I return.

I try to ride as often as possible and usually for at least an hour or more. So I don't think the problem is that the battery isn't getting a chance to recharge.

Thanks again
                -Marines

Comment

ii have this same issue some times...i found that the starter is binding on the fly wheel and if you hit the starter button a few times an hold it a little she frees up...cant find the cause for binding but im working on it

Comment

Working...
                  X