Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Running rough and I have no idea where to start.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running rough and I have no idea where to start.

Lately it seems that it is harder to start my 2003 600 Kat. I recently ran some fuel line cleaner and I changed the oil. Last night it seemed to be running rough and lacked power.

So my question is what should I be looking at? Should I pull the plugs? Spray some carb cleaner? Replace fuel filters? As far as I know the bike is stock except for the Yosh slip-on. I have done general maintenance such as oil and lube. I probably need to adjust the valve lash. Any guidance would be appreciated.

I hate to ask such a general question, but I am stumped and I do not want to waste a bunch of time that I could be out riding.

what's your mileage? are you due for the vavle adjustment? Air filter or spark plug change?
    Kyle

Comment

Well , depends on when the lst timje this other stuff was done ? Plugs are easy , as are fuel filters (how old are they ?) . Is it all of the sudden just getting rough or has it been progressive ? An other hints ?
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I am at 8K miles. I bought the bike used so I am not sure what was done before I got it. Last year I brought it to the dealer for a review. They said that everything checked out fine, but I am not sure how much I trust them. Other than that all I did was change the oild and lube the chain.

Comment

Maybe its time for a valve adjustment. When they did the check up, I doubt they took off the valve cover, and checked the clerances on the valves.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Well , I THINK plugs are a once-a-year thing , so those are probably due . Fuel filter's the same way , and air filter is supposed to be checked/changed every once in a while , so you're probably due on ALL of those ! PLus the carb synch (very easy if you have access to a gauge) and valve check/adjustment (THAT'S a hassle) . I'd try new plugs and check the air filter first , and replace the fuel filters while the tank was out of the way . Easiest/cheapest first !
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Did it just start doing it? You very well could have picked up a bad batch of gas, too. Might be worth while draining the tank and putting in new gas. Also, check the plugs while you've got the tank up. Might be worth while (since it's so cheap) to just replace them.

I got bad gas in my VFR once. Pinged, sputtered, and just generally ran like crap.
              -Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd
                Did it just start doing it? You very well could have picked up a bad batch of gas, too. Might be worth while draining the tank and putting in new gas. Also, check the plugs while you've got the tank up. Might be worth while (since it's so cheap) to just replace them.

I got bad gas in my VFR once. Pinged, sputtered, and just generally ran like crap.
                You do bring up a good point. I usually do not go to the station that I went to for this tank, but I did not have a choice. I went and picked up new plugs anyway. Hopefully that will help.

Comment

So, it has been only doing it since you last got gas, and you haven't gotten gas again since? Definitely drain the tank then and put in fuel.
                  -Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd
                    So, it has been only doing it since you last got gas, and you haven't gotten gas again since? Definitely drain the tank then and put in fuel.
                    I do think that the problem has been since I have gotten gas, plus like I said I ended up in a station that I normally would not go to. I will try drainging the gas and see what happens. In any case I need to figure out what I need to get to adjust the valves and balance the carbs because I am sure that they need to be checked.

Comment

Easy as pie to adjust the valves and sync the carbs...

I recommend these vacuum gauges...

Then you just need feeler gauges...
                      -Steve

Comment

I vote bad gas.................

Man, that sounds bad taken out of context!
                        I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                        Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                        Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Might want to pick up another fuel filter while you're at it. If it was bad gas with crud in it from the bottom of the holding tank at the station your filter may have had to work over time.
                          -Steve

Comment

Working...
                          X