X

Clutch Friction Zone Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Friction Zone Question

I like my clutch to start gripping when the leaver is probably 75% pulled in (close to the grip) anyway after adjusting my clutch the friction zone is pretty far out. Is the only way to move the friction zone closer to the grip to run lots of free play in the cable?

I kind of feel that perhaps I didn't adjust the clutch pack properly you know the whole turn the screw until you feel resistance is up to the individual’s idea of what resistance feels like. Then again I doubt anything is messed up because can anything really be wrong when everything else seems to be fine? (the clutch doesn't slip or drag)
    "It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them"

KatRider. A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist. Uloset, a young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

I would really just leave it like it is. I'm sure it would be nice for you to have the clutch engage just a little ways off the bar, but it's just not right. Think about this..... If your clutch is engaging just a hair off the bar when it's hot, how much do you think it's going to drag when it's cold? I think you'd find that the first ride of the day, when you go to shift into first, it's going to make some god-awful noise. I understand your thinking, but this is not a car. It's not quite so simple.

If you insisted on this, though..... you would do it at the sprocket cover, under the rubber cap.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I don't care so much if it is right of the bar but I'd like it to come in at around 1/3 out or so. As it is now it seems to come on when it is 3/4 out. Eh maybe I just need to wait for my muscle memory to adjust.

I did mess with the adjustment at the sprocket cover initially because it was really far out and brought it back a little but the only way to get it closer is with tons of free play maybe I’m just losing it but I swear there wasn’t so much free play the last few times I adjusted it and the friction zone was probably in what I would describe as the middle 1/3 of the leavers range of motion.

KatRider. A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist. Uloset, a young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Comment

Also remember that as the clutch wears the engagement point is going to change too.

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
          Also remember that as the clutch wears the engagement point is going to change too.

I agree totally but this difference didn't take place over time from wear the change came from the adjustment. I know that clutch feel is going to be different after every adjustment but the feel is like night and day this time around.

Comment

Let me look at the service manual and see how all that stuff works and maybe I can come up with something you can try.

Comment

To answer your question, yes, the only want to change the relationship between the friction zone and the lever position is the adjusters than control the effective length of the sheath vs. the length of the cable. There are adjustments on both ends.

Personally, I like my dis-engagement zone to start about 80% of the way out and be fully disengaged by the time it's just a bit over halfway to the bar. Makes it easier to shift quickly without conscious thought on my part, and I know there won't be any drag if I'm holding it in at a stop light.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well I just have to live with it I was thinking maybe I tightened the worm gear too much or too little but I maybe over analyzing things. Originally when I adjusted the push rod the clutch was slipping so I redid it for obvious reasons. Guess I was thinking I may have went to far the other way but it is not dragging so I'm guessing things are OK at the Pushrod.

Comment

I’m going to try the whole adjusting process again. Something just doesn't seem right to me after taking it for a ride last night. The clutch starts engaging right after the free play so even applying the lightest bit of pressure on the leaver and the clutch starts to disengage (yet it doesn’t slip at all when released).

There should be some travel that is NOT free play in the leaver before the clutch starts do disengage correct?

Comment

yeah, I think there should be a little bit. That does seem excessive.
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I might just try and back off the pushrod adjustment screw a little that should move the friction zone closer to the grip.

Comment

Working...
                      X