X

Front Fork Help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Fork Help

Ok, I have a 1999 kat 600 with a right side fork leak.

I want to replace the fork seal and was wondering what other parts I should order other than #14 oil seal, should I get #13 oil seal stopper ring?? or anything else.

I would also just like to say that I just want to repair the leaking seal not buy new shocks or springs, just fix the leak.

Now when removing the fork I know that I have to take a number of parts off of it but...... before I loosen the top bolts on the tree, I should loosen the fork cap bolt correct. My question is how loose? Just crack it, or give it a couple turns or what?

Also, with the Suzuki Fork Oil #10, 99000-99044-10G are there any other brands that are similiar in specs. that would be equivalent to the suzuki brand that may be found on the shelf?

I thinks that all the questions I have.

Thanks in advance for the help
    Attached Files

Make sure you get the front off the ground and remove the tire first. Get ALL the weight off the front end before you loosen the top cap OR the bolts on the triple tree. As far as the top caps, you only need to break the torque on them before you remove them from the triples. If you have a vise on a work bench, you can save that until you get the forks out of the bike. That is just a tip for people without a vise to hold the fork when you loosen the top cap. As far as parts to order, yes, you want both the dust seals and the oil seals. If there is leakage, both need to be replaced. If you're going to tear them apart, you might as well do them both while you are in there, ya know? I am not an oil expert and Cyber may chime in with an answer for you. I do know that the climate you live in plays into which weight oil you should use.
    Last edited by Court93kat; 06-10-2008, 11:53 PM. Reason: misspelling

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

what he means is item's 14 and 12, not 13, there is no need to replace that.

Comment

yeah, sorry about that.... forgot to point out item numbers.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
        who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

You may want to check for play in the bushing. High mile bikes can wear bushings out and the flex will cause a leaking seal. I don't see the bushing in the fiche but they are available.

Comment

Do you mean part #16 or #11
            Attached Files

Comment

do BOTH forks, not just one. Only doing one fork will cause an unsafe skoot.
              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

yes or no for this oil

Comment

So far as I know, all fork oil is about the same brand wise. Oil weight is a different thing all together. Do a search on fork oil weight there are plenty of threads about the subject. I personally run 10 weight.
                  Some people carry on
                  Some just stay right where they are
                  Our worlds divide

Comment

yup, that stuff is fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X