X

Please help need swingarm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help need swingarm

first of all is $3600 too much for a 1998 katana in excellent cosmetic condition lots of extras (see my profile) and pretty good mechanical shape (needs tune up carbs cleaned etc.) with 14,000 miles

next and most importantly CAN A BROTHA GET A SWING AT THAT
    yall I need a swingarm bad. i took Ebony to Mikes to have her rear alligned and come find out, my black beauty has a bad leg (swingarm bent) and i have not dropped her or stunted her or any thing like that in tha 3 weeks ive had her. Mikes quoted over $400 (no shiete!!) hells to tha naw I aint even tring ta get robbed by MIKES PYSCHO prices WORLD

found one on ebay says came off a '01 600 or 750 looks to be in great shape if its off a '01 750 or 600 will it still work
    hey thanks in advance to all
    a voice came to me and said, sacrifice that which you love the most (my girl and my bikes)
    so i lied and gave up my girl.

Yep it'll work. But check to make sure it's from a 750 and not a 600. The 600 swingarm is 1.5"'s shorter i do belive (correct me if i'm wrong anybody).

if it is a 600 swingarm you might have to take a few links out of your chain (again, correct me if i'm wrong anybody) but on the plus side it might help reduce the wear on your front tire

Comment

I don't know where that "750 is longer" myth came from. I have measured a 600 and 750 98+ and they are the same length.

Comment

The myth probably comes from the difference in wheelbase length... The 750 is actually about 0.2 inches shorter in wheelbase length. I've heard the same rumors, but I know they are untrue because the fiche files list the same part numbers for both swingarms (98+ Kat 600 & 750). RonAyers wants $361 for them brand-spanking new, although they are now only available in Black as far as I know, as silver seems to obsoleted in the parts database.

Beekman was nice enough to digitize the measurements for the 98+ Kat 600 swing arm, which you can find at one of my webpages, here:
        http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/katana/beekswingarm.jpg

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The myth probably comes from the difference in pre98 and 98+ swing arms, as there is a 1.5" difference in these with the 98+ being the longer.
          so, not 600 vs 750 but pre and post 98..

Comment

I stand corrected. I just remember reading it before and believed it to be true. My bad. Learn sumthin new everyday

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau
              I stand corrected. I just remember reading it before and believed it to be true. My bad. Learn sumthin new everyday
              It's ok, your Canadian.... We Understand.

I would Email or PM Special K to see if he has any laying around. Also, keep a look out on Ebay. I know a member here was selling a swingarm a while ago, not sure if it sold, or what year it was for. Kepp a open eye, I am sure you could find one for a bit cheaper than cost.
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Ya i musta got the measurements screwed up in the conversion from us to canadian

Comment

hey thanks a mil folks much appreciated.

ready to get it back on the road, this time safely
                  Attached Files
                  a voice came to me and said, sacrifice that which you love the most (my girl and my bikes)
                  so i lied and gave up my girl.

Comment

hey did that swingarm work? i didn't think it would actually. i've been told that the 98 & 99 model kats have the brake caliper mounted on top. therefore the bracket/arm that comes from the swingarm is on the top. on the 01 - 03 the brake caliper is mounted on bottom. did you have to mod that in anyway? did you just have to move your brake caliper to the bottom of your rotor and it worked?
                    -jason

Welcome to Katriders! Click Here to Register

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

Originally posted by taz
                      hey did that swingarm work? i didn't think it would actually. i've been told that the 98 & 99 model kats have the brake caliper mounted on top. therefore the bracket/arm that comes from the swingarm is on the top. on the 01 - 03 the brake caliper is mounted on bottom. did you have to mod that in anyway? did you just have to move your brake caliper to the bottom of your rotor and it worked?
                      the 88-97's have the rear caliper on top, 98+ on the bottom.

Comment

ok keith just told me that they were different sizes for different years. he was thinking the '99 & '98 had the brake caliper on top and the '01 - '03 had the caliper on bottom. well, anyway, thanks for the info.
                        -jason

Welcome to Katriders! Click Here to Register

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          I've heard the same rumors, but I know they are untrue because the fiche files list the same part numbers for both swingarms (98+ Kat 600 & 750).
                          I checked with Ronayers.com microfiche and my 96 600 vs. the 750 carries a different swingarm part number. The 600 is part #61000-19C01-13L and the 750 is part #61000-20C01-13L. So it appears that the pre 98 model swingarms are different....

Comment

What are the effects of having a longer swingarm other then it being harder to wheelie? how does it change handling/feel? I think i remember hearing that you could fit a bigger tire on a katana due to where it starts to narrow down.

A 98+ swingarm is a direct bolt on correct?

-Tyler

Comment

Double Post

Comment

Working...
                              X