air/fuel mix ?????? and jet kit

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air/fuel mix ?????? and jet kit

hello all,

I just put a D&D full exhaust system on the 93 KAT and when i put it on it was colder in the season. when i took it out today and got her running nice and hot, she didnt want to kick all the way down to 1,200 it kept up at a steady 2,500-3,000 RPM.

i know why because the new exhaust needs more gas for better mixture, basically its running lean.
    is there anything I can do without having to rip off the carbs to make it run a lil richer, no A/F mix near any outlets? or does the pilot screw have to be drilled out to be touched.

im not mechanically challenged but i dont want to sacrifice not having a ride for a week because it will take me that long to get this working with my schedule.

should i just have the pros put in the jet kit? or do you think i could pull off drilling out the pilot screws and doing it myself. also whats the manhours on this kinda project?
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Lean in Lean out.
    1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
    2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD
    2000 TL1000RR silver, SOLD
    2000 yamaha R1 red katana

-------------------------------------------------------

so you put the exhaust on and never did install the jet kit? i think you could do it yourself. if i was to do it all over again. i would have done it myself and probley take maybe an hour.

Comment

yea the jet kit was not installed but i put on the exhaust system. is there anything else i can do.(im hoping cyber will chime in) ringey ringey?
      Lean in Lean out.
      1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
      2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD

Comment

well your going to need to install the jet kit for it to run right.

Comment

i know, but do you think that installing a jet kit is hard, for the 1st timer. i mean i know the concept. drill out A/F mix, change jets, sync and if still change jet clip position.

i dont have a carb sync tool. and i would love to do this my self.

im afarid when taking apart the carbs, some kind of necessary spring is going to go flying accross the garage and ill be screwed.

when taking abart the bowl and top half, what does the buildup look like in a carb.

also when the bike gets to idol, it seems like it pulses. it will go 1200-1000 rpm in a pulsing manner, like a clock ticking. even when getting to the 3000 to 1200 it pulses, but it did this before i even put the new exhaust on. do you think the carbs are already outta whack/gunked up and this exhaust issue is adding to the fire ( backfire )
          Lean in Lean out.
          1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
          2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD

Comment

Tip: you can get this behavior from having too tight a throttle cable (and/or throttle return cable). Loosen both of your throttle cables all the way and recheck to see if it's still doing it.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

you can't get around the need for a jet kit - but you can do it cheap.

just buy the main jets from factory jet & buy the washer kit from radio shack and shim the needle with one washer. drill out the a/f screw cover ( if it's still on ) and set to 3.5 turns out.
              you could ride it this way - total cost about $25 bucks.

tim

Comment

thanks guys, ill have to look into both
                Lean in Lean out.
                1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
                2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD

Comment

With the D&D's you get a much more free flow on the exhaust side,so you definitely need to add a jet kit and it needs to be a kit with tapered needles and various main jets so you can dial in exactly which jets you need. Also, at this point, consider a K&N air filter to go along with your D&D and the jet kit. These 3 together make an awesome group fo rthe Kat.

You WILL need to synch your carbs when your running again, after warm up.

Jet kits are $100-110, and a K&N is about $70.

There's a wee bit of science and art in synching carbs just right............but the jet kits have pretty thorough instructions, and Factory Pro has a very good website with walk throughs..........

Since it sound like your first time, get all the right parts, then plan on spending 4 hours on it then synch the carbs
                  I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                  Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                  Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

sweet i think im gonna try it. anyone help me on a where i can get a carb synch tool?
                    Lean in Lean out.
                    1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
                    2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by xbubbax
                      sweet i think im gonna try it. anyone help me on a where i can get a carb synch tool?
                      Any mail order dealer, any physical dealer, JCWhitney... These guys have always been nice and cheap for me:
                      http://store.azmusa.com/motprocarsyn.html

Or, if you're like me and like to only buy a tool once per lifetime, get a Morgan CarbTune II ( http://www.carbtune.com/ ), which uses solid steel weights instead of mercury or dial gauges.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

cool thanks cyber, also what write up would you suggest for a how to for installing a jet kit. also what are the correct float and jet heights.
                        Lean in Lean out.
                        1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
                        2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by xbubbax
                          cool thanks cyber, also what write up would you suggest for a how to for installing a jet kit. also what are the correct float and jet heights.
                          No sense in re-inventing the wheel: Go see http://771doug.netfirms.com/ for jetkit install procedures for a pre-98

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                          X