X

Carb Problems STILL

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Problems STILL

So I get a call to pick up my bike on Saturday, and i'm there as soon as they open. They pull the bike out wash it and hand me the keys.
    Starts up first try and I'm a happy camper. I even had them install a new throttle and choke cable that i had. Take the bike out on to the main road redline 1st, 2nd & 3rd and it feels like a new bike. I get to the stop light and get ready to pull out and it dies. The tank is empty so I fill it up figuring that the bike has been sitting for like a month. Head back to the dealer and it dies 2 times before I get there.
    The head mechanic calls yesterday and starts explaining how he rebuilt the carbs a adjusted the floats. I told him that I would understand if I had a problem a few days of hard riding before the problem came back .But I only made it 2 blocks, he starts telling me about it being an older bike and unknown jet kit. So bottom line is he said he he would split the difference in labor to spend another few hours to get it right.

Now this is the bike before I get a new bike and I'm ready to just pick it up and put a for sale sign on it.

Sorry for the long post.
    92 Katana 600 Project bike
    Some assembly required is my middle name!!!

Wow... Sounds like he's not a very competent mechanic... It's not very difficult to set the float height to 15mm, make sure the right size pilot and main jets are in place, and make sure the needles are set right. Even if all the jets need to be replaced, you're only talking a couple dollars worth of parts... Where are you from?
    -Steve

Comment

I'm in Newburgh, NY.
      Got a call today said that they went with a hotter plug and a few more adjustments on the float hight. I'm told it is running like a champ now, we'll see tomorrow. They spent another 5 hours tweaking it today that they are going to eat since they gave me the bike and it didn't run.
      The only other bike shop that I know of is like another half an hour away.So at this point I will wait to see what happens tomorrow.

Comment

Check your gas tank for rust and debris. I wouldn't be surprised if what is happening is actually that your carbs are good, but as soon as you start riding, you're sucking rust down into them and fouling them... Easy thing to check, easy thing to overlook as well.

If you find any, here's how to deal with it:
        CyberPoet's "How to deal with Rust in your motorcycle gas tank" at MotorcycleAnchor.com, CyberPoet's motorcycle security and accessories firm.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hotter plugs ? THAT can't be good ... Sounds like the mechanic may be stupid . I'd go the extra half hour to get it done right !
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Got the bike back last night and it feels like a brand new bike. Nice acceleration now, I don't have to feather the clutch in first anymore. The throttle itself is tighter which is a good thing cause it was real sensative before. All in all I'm a happy camper. I might just keep it another season now before getting a newer bike.

Comment

Yeah , but hotter plugs ???
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                Yeah , but hotter plugs ???
                Maybe the plugs that were in there were not the right ones to begin with?

I'm curious if the "fix" will stay fixed or if it will reappear in a few days of riding... If you notice, his comments about it feeling like a "whole new bike" were there before it had to go back to the mechanic the first time as well...

Good Luck!
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well, on this one I vote more with Steve............sounds like a mechanic that didn't do his job all the way................

Find out (ask) WHAT plug he used and what plug he removed..........then post up.

Your bike should take either CR9EK or JR9C plugs (can't remember just this sec....)...............I've neveer had to use ANY other plugs than that...............in over 30 Kats just like yours...........(early 90's 600's).......................
                  I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                  Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                  Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I had NGK DR8ES and they switched to DR7ES

Comment

Working...
                    X