X

Wobble at 90+ mph speeds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wobble at 90+ mph speeds

I'm sure this question is similar to a topic in October of '04 - http://www.katriders.com/forums/view...ghlight=wobble - but here it is:
    My Kat ('98 600) wobbles when I reach speeds in excess of 90 mph. It wobbles worse the higher I exceed the mark.
    It FEELS like my front tire since the handlebars are real shaky too, but I can not be 100% sure. The shaking is not horrendous but still effects driving minorly.
    The bike has been well-maintained and the tires/brakes/rotors and in new(er) condition. PSI is on the spot being 33/36. I do not have sport/racing tires.. they are:
    Front: Bridgestone 120/70-R17 Battlax BT92F and Rear: Bridgestone 150/70 17 Exedra G602
    Any help with this issue would be appreciated. I do not exceed 80mph all that often so it is not a dire concern.

Also, I heard mention of the 'famous katana wobble' a while ago. I think my bikes does this (seperate issue) but only when I downshift too hard when going slower 25-40 while facing downhill.

Go Vols! UT '05 Grad

could be your tire is cupped.
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

How do I pick out a cupped tire?.. I've never examined one before. And if so, would the fix be replacing the cupped tire?

Go Vols! UT '05 Grad

Comment

Somewhere on here there's a picture of a cupped out tire. Basically one tread is up the next is down and so forth.

Mine wobbled mostly when slowing down from high speeds. It was a cupped out tire and replacing is the only option.

I went with a Metzler Z6 based on Cyberpoet's recommendations and I love it. No shakes at all now.

Comment

could b e acupped tire. Are your forks bent?
          Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

How many miles do you have on your tires?

Maybe you lost a wheel weight and it's out of balance?

Take a pic of your front tire and post it.
            Kyle

Comment

I KNEW I shoulda taken pics of my tire before having them changed ! : Look for raised rubber at the front edge of the tread blocks . It sometimes becomes VERY obvious after rolling through road sand ...
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

maybe the head bearings?
                Hello World.

Comment

Thanks for the advice all. I will post the tire pictures later tonight

Go Vols! UT '05 Grad

Comment

Working...
                  X