X

gsxr and katana exhaust?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gsxr and katana exhaust?

what are the differance between the moter at the exhaust ports the same distence apart on the header?
    Are the headers the same length?
    The opening on the header were the muffler bolts into the same size ?
    it would not be any fun if it was easy! but does it have to be this much fun!!
    Give A Person Expetations To Live Up To Not to A Reputition To Live Down !!

Re: gsxr and katana exhaust?

Originally posted by ghelper
    what are the differance between the moter at the exhaust ports the same distence apart on the header?
    Are the headers the same length?
    The opening on the header were the muffler bolts into the same size ?
    PM SpecialK for the info...

I know that for the late model GSXR's, the headers are different because the GSXR is watercooled and thus has different spacing. The exhausts from very early (pre-water-cooled) GSXR's may fit.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Exactly what Cyberpoet mentioned...you really need to specifiy what model year and size gsxr to which you are refering.

Comment

600 cc years 1990 and aslo 2000

Comment

A 1990 OIL COOLED GSXR will fit a katana. Anything from 1986 to 1992 will fit. When I say fit I mean the exhaust ports on the head will match up to the header. I don't think the frame mounting points will match up. And I don't think the collector will clear the oil pan. What year Katana do you want to put the header on? NO WATER COOLED GSXR HEADER WILL FIT AN OIL COOLED KATANA!

Comment

2000 katana is the opening for the mufler to bolt up to the same size

Comment

I have no idea. I was assumeing that you were going with a full GSXR oil cooled engine exhaust.

Comment

If your talking about using a stock late model gsxr canister the simple answer is no It will not bolt up. The gsxr mid pipe, pipe between the header and canister, is too short and the wrong shape. If you had a custom mid pipe made you could possibly use a gsxr canister. Again you need to be more specific what brand and year of exhaust do you want to use on your 2000 Kat. I am using a D&D exhaust canister from a '92 GSXR750, but I had to customize a stock 98+ mid-pipe.
                '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Originally posted by floxera
                  I am using a D&D exhaust canister from a '92 GSXR750, but I had to customize a stock 98+ mid-pipe.
                  what did you have to do to the mid pipe thinking a gsxr can has less back pressure and is about the same as a rs 3 for performance
                  modding the mid pipe is easy just wanted to know if the end of the header wear the muffler bolts to

Comment

ghelper do you want looks and sound or looks sound and performance? One of the easiest things to do is keep your stock header, buy a late model GSXR canister and take it all (with your bike) to a muffler shop. Ask them to make a mid pipe that goes from your header exit to the canister. Also ask them to bend it so you can use the factory mounting points. This will give you looks and sound plus a little performance. If you want full on performance drop the cash and buy a full D&D, Vance and Hines, or Yoshimura system. Because that is pretty much the only way you are going to find a full system that fits right out of the box.

Comment

what did you have to do to the mid pipe thinking a gsxr can has less back pressure and is about the same as a rs 3 for performance
                      I wanted the can and midpipe to be as free flowing as possible. So i left them alone. I figured I'd adjust on the carb side. Turns out everything is ok with out adjsutment, but I suspect I could benefit from some carb tuning.

modding the mid pipe is easy just wanted to know if the end of the header wear the muffler bolts to

huh?[/quote]
                      '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Working...
                      X