X

Oil Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Question

I currently run Amsoil synthetic. I just had a new chain and sprocket put on and the shop doing the work said the oil was low so they added a quart of regular motorcycle oil. Will that hurt anything? I am getting ready to go on a 1,200 mile ride next week and was not due an oil change for a while. Also, isn't the oil supposed to check between the Low and High mark? I keep my oil check and always keep it in between L & H. I check it by usually having someone hold it level while I kneel down and check it.

Thanks.

No, it will not hurt anything to mix brands of API-specified oils as long as they used a wet-clutch compatible oil (which every motorcycle dealership & shop would normally do). The oils will mix just fine and work (API spec calls for oils to be intermixable in all motor oil classes).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance. I was getting mixed answers however based on your knowledge I trust you the most. What about the oil level? Between low and high or will up at the high level be OK? I know you are not supposed to have too much oil. Thanks again.

Comment

Slightly too much is better than slightly too little.
        As long as you are measuring it the correct way (running the engine, shutting down, waiting 60 seconds and checking the window with the bike level [centerstand if present]), the reading is right. Doing it without running the engine gives you an artificially high reading; doing it while the engine is running gives you an artificially low reading.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
        X