X

Stuck in Gear?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck in Gear?

So I am about to buy my first Kat. I am getting a great price on it because it is stuck in first gear. Starts fine, moves in first fine, you just can not shift it at all. The guy I am buying it from says he was getting off the highway an came to a stop at the end of the off ramp. Starts to turn the corner and realizes he can not shift out of 1st gear. Has anyone ever heard of this and if so know how to fix it? Thanks

hello and welcome you are in the right place when there a problem with the kat help is on the way
    sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

yeah, thats a bent shift fork, keep looking, unless that guy is paying you to take it DO NOT buy it. I have the shift forks, and a transmission, how comfortable are you with splitting the crankcase?
      Last edited by arsenic; 06-05-2008, 04:28 PM.

Comment

DITTO: Do not buy a Katana with a transmission problem, period. They're too cheap in good shape to ever bother, unless you specifically want it as a very long & expensive lesson in engine & tranny tear-downs...

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Uh oh.. Lets hope he reads this before the deal is done.
          -2000 "750"

Comment

if he buys the transmission from me, I really don't care

Comment

Thanks Guys

Unless he gives me the bike I will pass. Just so I can give him a idea at what he is looking at how much would those parts be and whats all involved in replacing them?

Thanks again

Comment

dealer rate of 75 an hour, looking at a 25 hour job + about 2-3 hundred in parts.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  dealer rate of 75 an hour, looking at a 25 hour job + about 2-3 hundred in parts.
                  wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww thats price of the bike
                  sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

no kidding

Comment

Yeah, it's cheaper to buy another engine with a healthy tranny and just put the combo in than it is to address Katana tranny problems.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

It's not just a Katana tranny, pretty much ANY bike that the tranny is in the crankcase is like that.

Comment

Now I agree that tackling the transmission is not a good idea unless you are intimately familiar with the internals.... BUT I wouldn't say don't buy it. I'd say it better be cheap enough for you to buy another motor, and pay yourself to put it in, and still be a good deal.
                          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

like I said, unless he's paying you to take it, don't do it.

Comment

Let's see...... $300 for a motor, maybe. If it's his first time, probably a good 3-4 hours to swap the motor @ maybe $25 hr.... $400 added to the price of the bike. So, if he is asking $300 for the bike, I'd do it, assuming the rest of the bike is in good shape (brakes, fork seals, clutch, chain/sprockets, tires, etc) At $600 it would be a no-go, unless the bike was REALLY nice.
                              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
                              X