X

choking issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choking issue

ok did a carb sync on the kat was working good...let the bike cool down for a few hours then went to try an start it wouldnt start so i choked it an it would sit at 1500rpms with choke take the choke off it dies...but if i just touch the throttle just a little it will raise to aboutt 4200rpms once it warms up more take choke off she idles about 1200rpms the bike would choke fine before i did the sync...i thought it was out but checked it multple times an is good...any thought? its a 88 kat 6 with stock bst31 carbs
    My computer Tech job in miramichi,nb,canada
    Adaptive Office Solutions

First thought: Vacuum boot torn or not reinstalled.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i thought of that checked all of them an they are all good they were replaced before i got the bike...and i dont have to hold the throttle for any amount of time just touch it an it raises an i dont have to touch it again...i was thinking of checking valve height again as when its cold it does it but once warmed up its fine..idea or what?

wait i thought you were talking about the carb boots :$... im running pods ....yes i know you dont like them but stock air box wont fit lol oh an my petcock isnt the stocker so no vacum line on that either
      Last edited by dpasch; 06-05-2008, 06:53 AM.
      My computer Tech job in miramichi,nb,canada
      Adaptive Office Solutions

Comment

Since you aren't getting many hits I'll throw out my $.02.

Now, this is just my holley carb experience so I'm sure I'm way off base here, but the manual choke on a holley won't "engage" until you tap the throttle.

So, I would pull the choke out, pump the accelerator once, and it would set the choke and prime the intake.

Kinda sounds like what's going on here. Once again, I'm probably way off base, but maybe I said something that'll get you thinking in the right direction. Hope you get it worked out!

Comment

The choke feature on a Kat's carbs is an enricher circuit (doesn't affect the slides or butterflies); it's simply another fuel port to dump extra fuel. It works irrelevant of whether you're on the throttle or not.

Unless you have a sticking/binding/misrouted/misadjusted throttle cable, i'd put it all down to the pods & the fueling at idle (how the engine builds vacuum at idle).
          Next bit of advice if you're keeping the pods: dynometer with an exhaust analyzer to figure out what's actually happening in terms of rich/lean.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
          X