X

Oil-type stuff on left side only (m)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil-type stuff on left side only (m)

I have a '95 Katana 600. I've been noticing at the vent in the fairing right below the seat (kind of behind where your knee bends - where the front side fairing meets the rear side fairing) I've been getting what appears to be some type of oil spray residue there. It looks as if the oil stuff is leaking within and the wind from riding is spraying it onto the fairing in that spot. For some reason, it doesn't appear to be motor oil - its not black. I don't notice a distinct smell from it either. My cylinder heads and cooling fins are clear - no oil there. Its almost like its coming from the bottom of the air box on the left side - possibly right near the carbs.

What should I be checking and does anyone have any guesses as to what this is?

Thanks.
    '95 Suzuki GSXF Katana 600
    PurpleonBlack

Gas?

Maybe you are having a leak from the fuel petcock
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Check where the tube from the airbox drain is routed. Might be misrouted and dumping there. Could also be fuel, oil from a gap in a gasket or nicked pressurized oil line, or even from a disconnected vacuum line between the airbox and the valve cover...

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks guys - great suggestions.
        PurpleonBlack

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          Check where the tube from the airbox drain is routed. Might be misrouted and dumping there. Could also be fuel, oil from a gap in a gasket or nicked pressurized oil line, or even from a disconnected vacuum line between the airbox and the valve cover...

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          There you go!!

Comment

Follow Up

OK - I finally got around to checking this issue out since it seemed to be getting worse. I washed the bike and a 30 mile ride home produced the same result - oil-type-stuff in the same spot.

So...I loosened the fairings preparing to take a look at the airbox/gas tank/petcock area and noticed this area was clean. Further below was quite dirty, however. After removing the fairings further I traced the source to the tranny/clutch cover (I think that's what it is, anyway - oval cover in front of the shifter...). This cover was coated with oil/dust and looked as if it were the source of the rest of it. If I traced back a wind pattern while riding, it made sense how, if oil were coming out here, would be blown back and exit right where it was - and the whole path was covered like this cover. I grabbed my trusty Allan wrenches and went to work. About half of the bolts were quite loose, I tightened them all (in a criss-cross star pattern, of course) and wiped the area down. Hopefully, this will be an end to this issue. I couldn't see oil coming from anywhere else so if this isn't it, I'm not sure where to check next. I'll post again if the problem comes back.

Just wanted to share...
            PurpleonBlack

Comment

Re: Follow Up

One thought:

If you're like me, and tend to be overly liberal in your application of chain oil, the spinning of the front sprocket and the chain at high speeds can fling oil forward against the back edge of that portion of the engine and make it appear as if there is a leak present...

Either way, glad to see you found the issue. If it still leaks, undo the bolts on the cover and replace the gasket -- it may be torn or damaged.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X