X

My plugs are messing up!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My plugs are messing up!

Okay guys...here's the deal. It seems like every two months or so, I go to start the bike, and it just doesnt start, so after i try to the point of the battery being just about dead, I decide to check the spark plugs. They are singed and smell like gas...I'm guessing this means fouled. So I put in different spark plugs and it starts right up. What can I do to stop this from being an ongoing issue? Also, is there a problem with me just cleaning these plugs up (like buffing them clean with a dremel or something) and reusing them?

Also, is the fix something I should be doing, or do I have to take it to the shop. Mind you I have no clue what I'm doing, but I do have a shop manual.

Thanks,
    John
    I'm starting to wonder if you all need a beatdown.

Im guessing that you are running way too rich. How is your gas milage?
    Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Check and make sure the petcock is not on prime. It will foul them up everytime!
      Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

post a pic of the plugs.

tim

Comment

Re: My plugs are messing up!

Originally posted by JohnbliYayzzy
          I decide to check the spark plugs. They are singed and smell like gas...I'm guessing this means fouled
          Yes, it means they are fouled. You may be able to clean them with carb cleaner spray and file the contacts with some super-fine grit emory cloth for reuse.

Basically, what's happening is the fuel-air wasn't igniting. The reason they were fouled is questionable -- could be too lean, too rich, both conditions at different RPM's, or even something as simple as old gas in the carbs (gas that had evaporated partially).

Q: What mods have you done to the engine & carbs (i.e. - exhaust, intake, etc)? You may find that you need to clean your carbs & sync them and that'll be it (for stock configurations), or you may have to get them tuned if you've made changes (to compensate for changes in the intake/exhaust flows, fuel-air mixture rates, etc).

Good Luck!
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well, the guy i bought it off of told me he put K&N Air filter and jet kit on it. It has a slip on yoshi.....all the other mods are just for looks as far as I can tell. Someone took a look at the plugs and said they think they are running too rich, but once I get a chance i'll post pics. So you are telling me I gotta take apart my carbs and adjust them or whatever! That sounds like a lotta work. Got any howto's. Also, how can we make sure that is what needs done before I attempt something like that?

Comment

Well, the guy i bought it off of told me he put K&N Air filter and jet kit on it. It has a slip on yoshi.....all the other mods are just for looks as far as I can tell. Someone took a look at the plugs and said they think they are running too rich, but once I get a chance i'll post pics. So you are telling me I gotta take apart my carbs and adjust them or whatever! That sounds like a lotta work. Got any howto's. Also, how can we make sure that is what needs done before I attempt something like that?
              they may need a little adjusting.

see the jet kit section for a walk through.

tim

Comment

sweet tutorial, nice pics, so that shows me how to get the carbs off, my next question is, how to I adjust them, or know how to adjust them to match the rest of the bike?

Comment

Also, would this be a good carb sync tool and a good price that would work for what I need to do:

Comment

A carb syncro is easy.
                    It does however require special tools
                    Good old 771Doug to the rescue:

You can reset the A/F screws too.
                    I'm not sure if your engine mods require a new setting though..

If suspect gas was used, you may have stuck floats..

Comment

I'm not crazy about gauge type syncros..
                      I know (from my job) how much a quality acurrate gauge should cost. you need at least two and ideally four. That should cost $50 a gauge..
                      I would go with murcury

or the metal slide type..
                      (Carb-o-tune????)

The design takes out the cost-for-accuracy element..

Comment

Also, would this be a good carb sync tool and a good price that would work for what I need to do:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WD1V
                        thats the same one i have ( but mine has 4 guages ) use those plastic valves - in the off position - then just crack them open to get a reading.
                        you will calibrate the guages before any adjustment so i don't think thats an issue.

as far as adjusting the carbs - you'll need to figure out what kit is in there - then download the instructions and verify the settings are correct ( & the jets ) it will probably be dynojet or factory jet kit. reading the number off the main jet will tell you which kit it is ( dyno jet uses there own numbering system - factory used oem numbers )
                        dyno jet kits come with the following main jets 110-116-120
                        factory will have higher numbers. factory kit will probably have different size jets for the inner vs. outer cylinders - dyno keeps them all the same.

the directions will have you match the needle position ( e-clip ) and main jet to your bike - aftermarket air filter & header. re-seat the a/f screw and back out the recommended amount.

tim

Comment

Thanks a lot guys..... Hmmm, trying to think what else..... Oh, could my idle being set to about 2300rpms be fouling the plugs?

Comment

Thanks a lot guys..... Hmmm, trying to think what else..... Oh, could my idle being set to about 2300rpms be fouling the plugs?
                            not if the mixture is right. can you turn it down to 1300 and have it idle ?

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                              or the metal slide type..
                              (Carb-o-tune????)
                              Morgan CarbTune II.
                              http://www.carbtune.com/

Pricy compared to all the other options, but you'll only buy this tool once in your life if you get the best one.

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X