limp clutch lever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• limp clutch lever

hey guys,

was riding down the interstate and all of a sudden my new chain broke, it was a clip style and i put the clip on facing the wrong direction my fault....learned my lesson....now i reinstalled a new chain, and now my clutch lever is limp.....while the bike is on the centerstand (no wheels touching the ground) the bike will start in neutral and carry through all gears....but when i put the tires on teh ground and shift to 1st the engine stalls....now i do have to pull the lever in to start the bike but it is completely limp.....what would you suggest i start at???? thanks

Boomer

Take off the clutch basket and look at it very closely, you probably snapped the part where the cable attaches to the worm gear or you cracked the housing itsself. BTW, Never use "clip" style chains for this reason.. Clips suck and pop off.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Comment

u talking about the covering that goes over the front sprocket???? cuz the spring is still there and when i pull the clutch lever it stills pulls it and the lever its attached to is still moving....so im gonna look through the manual and try and a get a picture of the inside of that to make sure everything is intact....thanks

Comment

nvm......wow i was way off....im going to get the tool to take off the clutch cover.....what exactly should i be looking for to tell if it snapped???? and just out of curiousity how does the chain snapping affect that side of the bike???? thanks guys i owe ya

Comment

I am assuming you are looking by the front sprocket for your clutch cable action. I am however confused by your question about "how does the chain snapping affect that side of the bike". They are on the same side only about 1/2" apart at the front sprocket. When the chain came apart it rounded that sprocket and the end of the chain whipped around and hit everything in there.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
            who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

yeah i understand that....i guess i was a little vague, he said check the clutch cover and look careful, i was just curious about the chain affecting the opposite side of the bike under the clutch cover....

i dont doubt their knowledge, just curious.....and hopefully thats what it is....im draining all the oil as we speak and will be opening it up tomorrow morning.....
              Last edited by icyhandlz; 05-24-2008, 07:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

thats not the clutch cover dude. Thats the sprocket cover, the clutch cover is on the other side with the oil lens, if you took that off you'd be in BIG trouble.

Comment

yeah i know, thats why i said i was way off.....and i shouldnt take the clutch cover off????

Comment

No, You dont need to take the clutch cover off, Thats the wrong side of the bike. Follow your clutch cable down to the sprocket cover, Inside there is the clutch basket. Attached to the cover itsself. Dont remove the clutch cover on the opposite side of the motor. The side I am refering to is where your left foot would be. When you remove that you'll see the clutch cable attached to a mechanism with a spring and other things. See if its cracked or broken or the housing itsself where the screws are are cracked. Also pull out the clutch pushrod and roll it on a flat surface. Make sure its not bent.
                    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I have a few of those, it's called the worm gear.

Comment

My guess is the pushrod is bent, and so the worm gear isn't engaging it.
                        "If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. "
                        Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

could be, you have to check that and make 100% sure

Comment

well here we go, the "worm" gear still rotates an pushes out when i pull the clutch lever.....altho as the picture shows the "pushrod" is not sticking out of the side at all....so is it supposed to or is the worm gear broke????

Comment

Or of course it could be the chain snapped the pushrod off and you will have to open the clutch cover to remove the broken piece or to check that it is in there. If you go to this link, I believe you either broke off or are missing part 19

"If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. "
                              Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X