X

...Another valve question.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...Another valve question.

I read quite a bit and understand the importance of valve adjustment. had a couple Yammies that needed that maintance. However, I have a buddy looking for a Katana and found an older one with 10,000 miles. Original owner NEVER had valves done. Bike seems to have power he said but is a bit noisey. Question: From new, What was the longest you went without valves adjusted? I believe that after the 600mile and 7000mile adjust it changes very little for the next 10,000. Just my 2 cents. But to go 10,000 from the start....NOT GOOD.

jim

Definitely not good.

A lot of it has to do with how you ride it (the more puttering, the less valves tend to drift) and how good the valve adjustment was previously... If the last person to do an adjustment was sloppy, it'll need it sooner rather than later (why risk it?).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just got mine done at 16,000 and im 99.9% sure that the previous owner didnt do em.

It wont hurt anything if they arnt done it will just run like sh*t .... buy it and tune it. Just make sure his price is about $500 lower and use that saved money to go get it done.... or do it yourself

Comment

Just did mine this spring, and based on how long the previous owner had it and the maintenance I am finding was neglected ( the brake fluid looked more like dark molases), only one of them was out of spec. What really made the difference in how mine ran was after I synched the carbs. #3 was pulling double what the others were. (thanks again CP for the carbtune) But hey, that is why I got it for cheap. When buying it start listing off the things that need repair, and then lowball based on the cost to have it done at a shop.
        Last edited by Lehbs; 05-25-2008, 12:12 PM. Reason: Added
        "If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. "
        Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
          It wont hurt anything if they arnt done it will just run like sh*t ....
          If you're lucky. More often than not, it's true, but I have seen some pretty badly damaged upper Kat engines from failure to adjust the valves in a timely manner...

Originally posted by Lehbs View Post
          Just did mine this spring, and based on how long the previous owner had it and the maintenance I am finding was neglected ( the brake fluid looked more like dark molases), only one of them was out of spec. What really made the difference in how mine ran was after I synched the carbs. #3 was pulling double what the others were. (thanks again CP for the carbtune).
          (A) Your welcome. Glad to hear it made a difference. Be sure to offer other Kat riders in the area access to you & the tool

(B) Since the brake fluid flush isn't part of the standard dealer services covered under a 7500 or 15k "service visit", it's very possible your bike saw valve service & oil changes, but never got any brake fluid changes. The fact that only one valve was out of spec would indicate that to me.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
            (A) Your welcome. Glad to hear it made a difference. Be sure to offer other Kat riders in the area access to you & the tool
            Have already made back the cost with beer from friends who have borrowed in and given me case for the use. I guess on that note anyone in the Calgary Area who wants to borrow it can.
            "If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. "
            Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Working...
            X