X

Found a peice of something in Cyl #4

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a peice of something in Cyl #4

Well, Corey and I went to turn over the 1127 engine today, and it was a no go. We cranked it by hand, and it felt as if something was stopping it. We pullled the valve cover off, and thought that maybe one of the cams was way outa wack. That wasn't it, so we went even further and pulled off the whole head. Lone and Behold there was something in Cylinder #4. Any one know what it is? I kinda gouged the piston head a bit, no sharp edges or burs, but did mark it up. Here are the pics.

*Note, the Measurement is in CM there, not Inches

Corey thought that maybe it was part of a Bore feeler to measure something. I dunno. I am sure he will chime in here.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

well lou i dont know what that is but sorry to hear it was in your motor, but now you have the only 1127.00002 CC bike in the WORLD

Comment

Oh, it's good to be right :P

(for those who don't know, Lou & Corey called me as soon as they tried to turn it over and it 'stuck').

But I'm sorry that it was the case...

Kind of looks like the gasket retaining pin on some bikes...
      Q: Does it have any holes through the center?

Good Luck!
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

looks like lou's nipple tassle.
        ------------------------------------------------------
        Lean in Lean out.
        ------------------------------------------------------
        1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
        2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD
        2000 TL1000RR silver, SOLD
        2000 yamaha R1 red katana

-------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I think it's going to be one of the following two items:

Item #8 on this fiche file (more than one on the engine):
          http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_00...inder_head.bmp

Or item #12 on this one:
          http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_00...head_cover.bmp

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Nope neither of them.
            PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
            The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

I know EXACTLY what that is. How in the world it got into the #4 jug is beyond me. Look at #39 (I used the fisch from a 1993 1100 Kat) http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_00...60&parent=5200

That little part is what makes the Neutral Light come on when you are in neutral. It's under the Neutral Sense Switch and it fits into a little hole with a spring behind it. The only way to get it out is to remove the NSS from the bike and take it out by hand. But like I said earlier I have no idea how that could have gotten into the #4 cylinder from where it is Supposed to be. Maybe it came from another engine? Did you get this one from a bone yard?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Clean
                I know EXACTLY what that is. How in the world it got into the #4 jug is beyond me. Look at #39 (I used the fisch from a 1993 1100 Kat) http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_00...60&parent=5200

That little part is what makes the Neutral Light come on when you are in neutral. It's under the Neutral Sense Switch and it fits into a little hole with a spring behind it. The only way to get it out is to remove the NSS from the bike and take it out by hand. But like I said earlier I have no idea how that could have gotten into the #4 cylinder from where it is Supposed to be. Maybe it came from another engine? Did you get this one from a bone yard?
                Great Catch -- good work! I'm virtually 100% positive you're right on what it is...
                Jesus, I have no clue how that could have ended up there unless someone tossed it in at the end of reassembly not knowing where it goes, but not wanting the next owner of the engine to be missing the part... That'll be a bear to put back in -- if it's even missing the original (easy way to check -- right? -- if the neutral light operates correctly, it's gotta be in place).

PS - they got the engine from Keith (SpecialK) who said it had just been rebuilt -- although I don't think he's the one that did the work (just bought & resold it if I recall correctly).

Hmmm...
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The NSS is easy to pull, just take the two phillips screws out that hold it in place and it comes right out. Yo uwill see that part in there if you look.

Comment

Originally posted by duff daddy
                    well lou i dont know what that is but sorry to hear it was in your motor, but now you have the only 1127.00002 CC bike in the WORLD

Comment

Well, the motor we have has it in. Called Keith, the motor I sent him does not. What I want to know, what are the chances... THE ODDS of it being able to shoot of one engine, and into another. Man. Well, we got the engine put back together, and it is running. CLutch is beng a bit goofy, but I think Corey is gona post something on that.
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

The odds? Slim to none. The spring doesn't have that much pressure on it. Unless you took the NSS off, and turned th motor upside down above the new motor and the spark plug in the #4 jug was out.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                          Well, the motor we have has it in. Called Keith, the motor I sent him does not. What I want to know, what are the chances... THE ODDS of it being able to shoot of one engine, and into another. Man. Well, we got the engine put back together, and it is running. CLutch is beng a bit goofy, but I think Corey is gona post something on that.
                          OK, here's how you calculate the actual odds of this happening:

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I would guess some ass would put it in the cyclinder. I am supprized you did not find a candy wrapper in there too.
                            Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

See, now I'd have to break the entire thing down and make sure that was the ONLY foreign object in the motor.

WTF?
                              Matt

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.

Comment

Working...
                              X