X

GSX600F 1996 carb problems...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSX600F 1996 carb problems...

Ok, in another thread I've been workin on tuning up the Kat and I'm at the point of starting her back up. So I've done the valves, new spark plugs, new K&N Air Filter, New oil and I've put the Carbs, Air Box & Tank all back on.

Plastics are off and we start the bike up. It sounds really rough and does not appear to want to run right. Next we notice a fuel leak and shut everything down. We trace down a few things to locate and start again. Locate the fuel leak and it appears to be from the Air Vent hose between Carb 1 & 2.

What could cause the fuel to flow up and out this hose? My guess is only gasses/fumes should come out here and not fuel. I did not do a full brake down and rebuild on these carbs. I only cleaned them on the outside and checked the top and bottom portions. I left them all connected and did not change any settings on them. I just cleaned the gunk and grime on the outside and insides that I could get too.

Any thoughts and help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
    Katana

Stuck float ?
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i watched that kanevil thing on A&E and he fixes his stuck float with a hammer

Comment

Sometimes that works , sometimes you have to take it apart and mess with it . Can't get a hammer in there , but the end of a screwdriver will go . Just a few sharp taps'll do it , if at all . I don't know what else would cause that , really .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

That is about the majority opinion on my issue. I just like to ask it here and get the feed back from fellow KatRiders. Thanks for the help and that is what I'm going to try next and see what happens.

8)
          Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
          Katana

Comment

I've been having that same problem w/ the stuck floats so it runs bad and bogs down. I'm glad I have new carbs on the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Paladin
              That is about the majority opinion on my issue. I just like to ask it here and get the feed back from fellow KatRiders. Thanks for the help and that is what I'm going to try next and see what happens.
              Bad O-rings in the carbs and a stuck float.

Time to tear them down. Locate all the O-rings and replace them, including the ones on the pilot screws and between the different carbs (the common fuel and vacuum rails).

Good Luck!
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Pulled everything back off to the Carbs and numbers 1 & 2 had a nice wet soaked look to them, while 3 & 4 looked dry (this was from the outside looking in, where they connect to the Air Box). So we pulled them off and drained them from the bottom.

Clearly something is wrong with 1 & 2 and that is the side where we have all the problems and a leak coming out the air vent hose (Hose connecting between 1 & 2). So we open up the bottoms to look and the floats seem to move easy. We flip them over to be at the same angle as on bike and the number 2 section slide right off. Here's a problem for sure and we figure they are sliding right off and not sealing correctly (Cyber's right on the money with O rings).

The number 1 is loose too and our guess is 3 & 4 has the same issues, but not as bad as the number 2. So it looks like I'll be looking for O rings and braking the carbs down.
                Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
                Katana

Comment

Alright, brother-in-law and I worked hard on the Kat this evening and got her back an running. We found new O rings and replaced all of them on the lower section of the carbs. Big difference for sure having the new O rings in place. Going to check her out over the next few days and see how she runs, just got a short little round the block ride in before the rains started. I'm not wanting to push to hard just yet. Just want to make sure all is running well and hopefully in the next couple days I'll have all the plastics back on her and can make some longer runs on her.
                  Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
                  Katana

Comment

Working...
                  X