Idle and vacuum adjustment LAWS AND AXIOMS

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle and vacuum adjustment LAWS AND AXIOMS

Starting with a STOCK '97 kat 600:

If i want it to ride perfectly, assuming all parts are stock, do i ever use the adjustment for the throttle cable about a foot away from the handle bars? I figure it's there for some reason.

The other idle adjustment is down by the left leg that dials directly into the carbs. Should the throttle cable in theory always seat back down onto the little screw point that is "associated" with the "idle adjustment" on the left of the bike near the leg?

Another question is: when i'm tuning the carbs, i recall that they should be adjusted at 1850RPM or perhaps 2000RPM (two different sources). any idea which it should be?

Finally, I read somewhere that the vacuum head should be 10 bar. Is that true? if so, is that at 2000RPM, 1850RPM, or somewhere else?

The problem i'm having is that i can adjust the idle and it goes up and down as expected; however, when i come to a stop the idle goes down to about 800, 700, and then dies out eventually. Something strange. I'm going to take it apart and tune the carbs, but before i do this i was wondering if there were any LAWS to guide me. I have a carbtune pressure gague and a *clear spark plug* (laugh out loud). I may or may not use the clear spark plug. Has anyone had success with this method of tuning? Since the bike isn't under load at the time, i have to wonder if this is a bad idea. If it isn't, is there a guide for tuning the flame color? Does the timing advance or retard under load?

Adjustment at throttle is for cable stretch, to allow correct freeplay.
    93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

Working...
    X