X

Airfilter question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airfilter question

My bike is an '01 750. I run a Yosh RS3 and it has been jetted (by Special K, can't rember what kit was used). When we did that, I also had a K&N filter put on. Now I'm seeing that there are a lot of negative opinions on here about K&N. I need to clean the filter but now am wondering if it would be better to replace with OEM. Would that have any negative effects since it has been jetted? Also, I am a little slack and have never removed the filter since this was done. It looks like the two bolts that hold the gas tank down have to be removed to get to the screws that hold the filer in place. Is this right? I tried to find a service manual on the site but the link for the 750 doesn't work anymore.

Yes, you'll find quite a lot of anti-K&N sentiment... most people do prefer the stock filter over aftermarket ones, so in that respect, I would suggest you go with the OEM... Do you have the OEM airbox? or is the K&N?
    -Marty (Red)

sigpic

BANGERANG RUFIO!

Comment

Special K has forgotten a lot more about Kats then some people here (me included) will ever know..
      If it's running well leave the K&N..

Comment

Originally posted by shadowhunter04 View Post
        Yes, you'll find quite a lot of anti-K&N sentiment... most people do prefer the stock filter over aftermarket ones, so in that respect, I would suggest you go with the OEM... Do you have the OEM airbox? or is the K&N?
        This is going to sound stupid but I have no idea. I doubt it. Special K ordered all of the parts.

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
        Special K has forgotten a lot more about Kats then some people here (me included) will ever know..
        If it's running well leave the K&N..
        Runs fine. I just probably need to cleand and recharge it. I don't want to create any issues like someone on another thread that over oiled their K&N. Also, Special K never mentioned any negative affects of the K&N and as Kats go I would consider him an expert. The man knows Katanas.
        Last edited by DINGBAT; 05-02-2008, 01:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

How many miles have you put on it? You shouldn't need to clean it for at least 10-15K. That is why I have one, less maintenance

Comment

When I installed my scorpion pipe and rejetted the bike (06 600) for the K&N, I did'nt immediately install the K&N and the bike ran like crap. From the moment I installed the K&N the bike ran great!
            sigpic

Current bike: 2007 Hayabusa

Comment

Everyone says K&N is bad but I put one on my 2003 600.The bike runs great I don't get it? Bike is pretty much factory except for slip on D&D.

Comment

Originally posted by DINGBAT View Post
                My bike is an '01 750. I run a Yosh RS3 and it has been jetted (by Special K, can't rember what kit was used). When we did that, I also had a K&N filter put on. Now I'm seeing that there are a lot of negative opinions on here about K&N. I need to clean the filter but now am wondering if it would be better to replace with OEM. Would that have any negative effects since it has been jetted? Also, I am a little slack and have never removed the filter since this was done. It looks like the two bolts that hold the gas tank down have to be removed to get to the screws that hold the filer in place. Is this right? I tried to find a service manual on the site but the link for the 750 doesn't work anymore.

You do know the saying about OPINIONS right? Like Black_Peter said, if it's running good don't change a thing you may regret it.

On the other hand, change it back to OEM and then take a ride, come back and tell us if you can feel it accelerate and better or worse than the K&N.

Comment

My 06 750 had a flat spot around 4000 rpm, I was using the K&N. Then I swapped out the rubber inlet ( they come with 2, a large inside diameter hole, and a medium inside diameter hole.) The instructions say to use the larger one if you are piped and jetted. Don't it runs much smoother with the smaller inlet.

Comment

I have the BIG donut hole on mine.

Comment

Filters

While we are on the subject, where is a good place to order OEM air filters online?

Comment

uuummm, the CyberPoet?? On here??

Comment

Working...
                        X