X

kickstand diode hot?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kickstand diode hot?

ok i know its covered all the time and ive read the other threads but none have mentioned this...of course my issue is the same, bike died while stopping and shifting into 1st. restarts fine in neutral but shift into gear and it shuts off...i was checking out the wiring and noticed that when the key is on, the diode gets hot to the point where it starts to smoke. i know that its tied in w/ the neutral light and the light is still working properly w/ the diode in. dunno if that means anything, but i'm just curious what you would think the faulty part is...

that's a new one, your side stand switch is bad, it has 0 to do with the neutral light.

Comment

where is the actual switch? it looks almost like the 2 wires are just connected together so i'm wondering if the previous owner tried to bypass it

Comment

The switch is at the kick stand. How do you know about the diode??????

Comment

Comment

how do i know about it? i looked at the wiring diagram in my manual to trace the switch and anything else related to it...

so if its obvious, and right at the kickstand, then i'm pretty sure its been removed...all i found was the diode, the relay, and the 2 wires (black & white, and dark green) connected to each other over near the diode...i dont see why it worked fine up until now
            Last edited by rubbinNdubbin21; 04-25-2008, 09:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

OK. replace it and put a switch on it. I have my wires tied together. And I don't want to hear from the safety people about this. The switch goes in front of your stand. There is a piece of metal that makes contact with it. The diode may be allowing too much power thru it. I don't know what the voltage should be at the diode.
              Last edited by Kfreak; 04-25-2008, 09:27 PM.

Comment

i imagine thats not something that would be an in-stock item...where would you get a new switch?

Comment

What's the bike????

Comment

ahh sorry! 95 katana 600...just googled it, looks like an easy enough part to get, just hope a local parts dept has one so i can get it up and running tomorrow!

Comment

Don't hold your breath, it's a $55.00 part. (switch) I'm looking for the diode yet.OEM Suzuki Motorcycle and ATV Parts - Yamaha Motor Cycle Parts

I'd try changing the diode first. $9.00 compared to $55.00. You don't have the switch anyway. The bike ran before. There is a way to jump the wires. Go to the wiring forum. Someone just had this problem and jumped all the wires somehow. I know I am on borrowed time with my diode, so I'll be doing the same thing.

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=81319

Last edited by Kfreak; 04-25-2008, 09:58 PM.

Comment

You have a short some where between the diode and the switch, check every thing with a circuit tester
                        Tecnico28

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
                          I'd try changing the diode first. $9.00 compared to $55.00. You don't have the switch anyway. The bike ran before.
                          ya thats what i was thinkin...the switch is completely removed from the bike so it obviously cant 'go bad'...local shops open in a half hour so i'll be checkin to see if they carry the diode, thanks for the help!

Originally posted by Tecnico28 View Post
                          You have a short some where between the diode and the switch, check every thing with a circuit tester
                          what would i check? considering there is no switch at all
                          Last edited by rubbinNdubbin21; 04-26-2008, 07:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                          X