X

Rear Brakes Not Working??!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Brakes Not Working??!!

Ok, this question is for all you mechanical experts out there...

I replaced my rear brake pads the other day, and everything seemed to go smoothly. After everything was back together, I tried the brakes and nothing. I had to bleed a little fluid out of the system to get the new pads in, and re-filled my fluid, but still nothing, my pedal will press all the way down with NO results. I figure I have some problem with pressure in the hydrolic system, but don't really have any idea how to re-pressurize? Anyone out there have this problem and if so, what is the fix?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

sounds like you need to bleed the brakes properly.

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
    mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
    Last edited by chinto; 04-22-2008, 01:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

but if it's an 88 600, I don't know

Comment

I have a year 2000 600. Was hoping there was a quick fix, thanx tho!

Comment

that IS a quick fix

Comment

brakes and quick fix are 2 things that should not go together.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

well, it is the rear brakes, do you really NEED those?

Comment

Have you pumped the pads out to the rotor yet? It takes several pumps to get the pistons back out to the rotors. You can try and rebleed after you get the pads out.

Comment

ditto

Pump the brakes to get the caliper pistons pushed back out, and then bleed. Pump all the old nasty fluid out while you're doing it, only takes a few more seconds to flush fresh fluid all the way through.

Comment

Ack,

LOL Only pump the brakes if you know to close the bleeder screw before you release pressure on the brake pedal. If you dont close the bleeder before releasing it will suck in air, then open the bleeder agian when you start applying pressure agian and close it when you are down all the way repete Ect.

Or you can just let it gravity bleed. open the res, open the bleeder, and let it drip out. or thru a hose so it doesnt get on everything. Top off the fluid as needed till its clean.
                    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I have not pumped the brakes to get the calipers out yet, it seems that pumping them does nothing, so is it just a repetitive process that you do until there is pressure again? Please no comments on my mechanical ineptness...thx haha

Comment

it's pretty immediate. I was putting together a new bike from a crate together one time, I bumped the front brake lever on something, I had to compress the pistons back in to get the front wheel on. (front wheel doesn't come on a new crated bike)

Comment

I just replaced the rubber on my 06. You do have to pump the brakes a few times to get the pistons/pads back into position. Prior to replacing the pads, how was the pedal? Firm? If so, pump a few times, and once you have a decent pedal, flush the system.
                          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
                            I just replaced the rubber on my 06. You do have to pump the brakes a few times to get the pistons/pads back into position.
                            I agree, but we aren't paid Suzuki Techs so we must be wrong..

Comment

what in the hell is that supposed to mean Petey, I didn't say you were wrong
                              first of all, look at what I said "front brake lever" not rear pedal. I think that was on a brand new Hayabusa, you know, a bike were stuff actually works?
                              Last edited by arsenic; 04-23-2008, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X