X

Lowering 2005 Katana 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering 2005 Katana 600

I just bought my first bike, it is a blue/white 2005 Katana 600. I wanted to buy a used bike, but the price of most of the ones I found were not much difference in the price of buying a new one. I am about 5'3"-5'4" and I am wondering what would be the best way to lower my bike. I would appreciate any advice that anyone would be willing to offer. Thanks for your time.

1/4" longer dogbones ( 7 3/4" on center )& lift the fork tubes in the triple
    about 1/4".

or you could first try an aftermarket seat ( corbin ) .

tim

Comment

Let air out of your tires

KIDDING!!!!

I would suggest getting new dogbones. I think you can move up the tripple a bit to lower the front as well.
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Re: Lowering 2005 Katana 600

Originally posted by new_guy
        I just bought my first bike, it is a blue/white 2005 Katana 600. I wanted to buy a used bike, but the price of most of the ones I found were not much difference in the price of buying a new one. I am about 5'3"-5'4" and I am wondering what would be the best way to lower my bike. I would appreciate any advice that anyone would be willing to offer. Thanks for your time.
        How tall is your inseam?

I hate to say this, but the bottom line is that unless you have a particularly long inseam for your height, and are a featherweight (i.e. - not too stocky/heavy, to keep from overcompressing a the lowered suspension), you may simply not be able to lower the bike enough to use it comfortably and safely as your first bike. If you are particularly light, a bike with such a heavy weight may be problematic as well.

Here are all the lower methods:

Altering the spring preload at the rear shock
        Longer rear suspension links (dogbones) to drop the rear
        Sliding the forks up through the triple-trees some.
        Shaving the seat foam or replacing the seat with a custom-made replacement to lower the seat height and narrow the nose width
        Switching to 60 profile tires in the stock sizes instead of 70's.
        Obtain tall-soled riding or combat boots.

That's pretty much the full list of what can be done to lower it. Changes at the rear (longer dogbones) need to be matched at the front (raising the forks) to keep the same general angle of the front forks, or the handling can go screwy... You may also need to change the handlebars (use of risers) to reach more comfortably.

You can find more details by searching the forums (use the search feature above -- search for lowering + dogbones, etc).

Good Luck!
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

This may be a stupid question, but I was wondering if dogbones and lowering links were the same thing?Also, I was wondering if anyone knew any websites or where I could purchase a dogbone for my 2005 Katana 600? Thanks for your time.

Comment

This may be a stupid question, but I was wondering if dogbones and lowering links were the same thing?
            Yes. They need to be installed in pairs in your motorcycle, as there is one on each side of the rear shock assembly support. Check the parts fiche at ronayers.com to make more sense of what I am saying.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Would it be better to buy dogbone/lowering link to lower bike or ajust trees and shocks? Do you know how much adjusting the trees and shocks would lower the bike?

Comment

Would it be better to buy dogbone/lowering link to lower bike or ajust trees and shocks? Do you know how much adjusting the trees and shocks would lower the bike?
                With your height (and expected inseam), longer dogbones (aka lowering links) would be a virtual necessity, as well as adjusting the shock as far possible EDIT: as far as possible while still retaining appropriate suspension settings -- Thanks to trinc for pointing out my omission.. The stock seat height is about 31.5" and with a 150lb rider loaded on, that still requires a 30 - 30.5" inseam to reach the ground normally. Longer dog bones will reduce that requirement, but only by a certain amount (an inch or two is common); there is a limit to how much the suspension can be lowered before the rear tire will want to rub against the underside of the rear wheel cover.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have searched many sites trying to find lowering links but most sites only have links up to '04 models. Would these work with the '05? Do you know of any site that sell them? I only need to lower the bike about 1.5 - 2.0 inches to fit comfortably.

Comment

I have searched many sites trying to find lowering links but most sites only have links up to '04 models. Would these work with the '05? Do you know of any site that sell them? I only need to lower the bike about 1.5 - 2.0 inches to fit comfortably.
                    Anything that will fit the 03 & 04 model year will fit the 05 model year.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Last question. On the website I found that had links for '05 model said that you could go stock, lower 2 inches, or lower 4 inches. Would lowering 4 inches be too low? Would it cause problems with rubbing of the back tire or handling? Thanks for your time.

Comment

Last question. On the website I found that had links for '05 model said that you could go stock, lower 2 inches, or lower 4 inches. Would lowering 4 inches be too low? Would it cause problems with rubbing of the back tire or handling? Thanks for your time.
                        I can't honestly answer that question because I've never tried to lower a Kat that far. My guess is that the wheel might still clear in the parked (unloaded) position, but once you factor in rider & load weight, that might change.

Good Luck!
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'm 5'4" (30" inseam) and found the stock Kat a little tall for my liking, given the weight (especially with a full gas tank). I didn't bother with lowering the bike (dogbones and moving the fork tubes), but one winter sent my seat to Sargent Cycle and had them make the front lower and narrower. They did a fantastic job, and color matched the rear seat to the bike too. Not cheap, but simple and doesn't affect handling of the bike. I still can't put both feet flat, but it's more than enough to be stable and confident. This is worth trying - I'd suggest getting a cheap torn seat off of Ebay and sending it in, so you don't have to be without your seat for 6-8 weeks.

Comment

do NOT adjust the spring preload to lower the bike !
                            do NOT drop the rear 4" ! ( some people do for drag racing )

and aftermarket seat is a great way to go for two reasons - a narrower profile makes the bike seem lower & you won't loose ground clearence.

IF you lower the bike with dogbones you MUST also lower the front end to match ( raise the fork tubes in the triple clamp ) . or your steering will be really heavy.

the stock dogbones are about 7.5 " on center - going to a 8" on center will drop the rear end about two inches.

i just went through installing new dogbones on my bike - do a search here i wrote in a thread somewhere how to install them.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                              do NOT adjust the spring preload to lower the bike !
                              do NOT drop the rear 4" ! ( some people do for drag racing )

and aftermarket seat is a great way to go for two reasons - a narrower profile makes the bike seem lower & you won't loose ground clearence.

IF you lower the bike with dogbones you MUST also lower the front end to match ( raise the fork tubes in the triple clamp ) . or your steering will be really heavy.

the stock dogbones are about 7.5 " on center - going to a 8" on center will drop the rear end about two inches.

i just went through installing new dogbones on my bike - do a search here i wrote in a thread somewhere how to install them.

tim
                              Did you lower or raise yours? I was thinking about raising my rear, do I have to do something to the front then as well?
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X