X

Ahhhh Why Wont You Run!!!!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahhhh Why Wont You Run!!!!!!!

Ok here is the story. I laid the bike down, now it wont start.

First of all, i could get it going with started fluid, but it would idle high, then eventually die. If i gave it any throttle it would die.
    I then changed the plugs. It started a little easier (barely) then started to die, and if i gave it throttle, it would immediately die.

What can i do to fix this? If anyone is in my area (West Lafayette, IN/ Purdue) and is willing to lend a hand, there is a case of beer in it for ya

Based on the description it sounds like it isn't getting gas.

Facts (Please correct me if I'm wrong):
    It will run with starter fluid for a short time and then die on you. It will die when you goose the throttle as it is idleing.

Have you tried starting and running it with the tank switch in PRI (primer)? What were the results? The choke is on full (full down position) when you get these results, yes? How long will it idle for with starter fluid? Does the engine sound different than it used to? Have you checked the battery charge level?

When you goose the throttle it pushes more air through and not more gas which can overwhelm the engine into a "lean" situation with plenty of air but no gas. This will torch the plugs which will require replacement. This is why when you replaced them it got better briefly and then they torched themselves again. Try pulling the plugs to confirm what they look like.

Based on the minor information provided I'm guessing that whatever crud was in your tank went into your carbs and clogged the jets or there is a blockage/leak somewhere along the fuel/vacuum line. Tru running it on PRI for about 30 seconds to see if it gets gas when you bypass the vacuum lock. If that doesn't do it I would start taking a serious look at cleaning the carbs.

Comment

i agree with bright wire. try putting it on prime for awhile, the other way to check is to open you float bowl drain screws and see if you have gas. you might have to clean the carbs out, and then try it again. i'm guessing you dont' have enough gas going in thats why it dies when you give it throttle and why it only runs until you use up all the fumes from the starter fluid. or your floats could be stuck closed. but start off easy, put that sucker on prime!
      Captain of Squad 11

Comment

sounds like an air leak to me. high idle usually indicates a lean condition.
        check your tank-carb vacuum line, the airbox drain, and the crankcase breather.
        a leaky airbox can keep the petcock from operating as it's supposed to.

Comment

Ok i tried setting it to prime, and that did nothing. So the next possibility is what, the carbs are gunked up. And if so, is it just as simple as removing, spraying with cleaner, then putting them back on?
          I have never dealt with carbs before and am kind of nervous about messing with them.

Comment

I have a feeling I'm going to have to dismantle my carbs sometime soon (if not today.) Unfortunately it's not as easy as it sounds: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=63557

Definitely get a shop manual if you haven't done it before.

Comment

Start the bike with starter fluid and let it idle. While it idles spray some of the starter fluid around the sides of the engine and the carbs between the engine and the carbs. If the idle jumps up for a few seconds go backwards in time about 5 seconds to where you sprayed and that is a area with a high likelihood of an air leak. when the idle jumps while spraying starter fluid around the engine it is because it is sucking up external air combine with the starter fluid providing additional "gas". This is a good thing to check to find areas with hairline cracks.

As for pulling and cleaning the carbs. The first time is always the hardest and scariest. After doing it the first time I'm comfortable yanking them without thinking twice. When you pull the carbs check each carb to see if it has gas in it. This will help you to deduce if they are even getting gas. If they aren't you'll need to back up and go to the petcock to see what is happening there.

Comment

Working...
              X