X

Slip-On Muffler repacking/Rivets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slip-On Muffler repacking/Rivets

Ok I have a problem. the rivet gun(manual handle type) I have can only handle aluminum rivets, my muffler repacking kit that I got directly from WileyCo. has steel rivets, at least i'm pretty sure they are steel since I tried to use my rivet gun and it barely did anything and almost got stuck inside. Anyway I was wondering if anyone would know if i would have a problem if I used aluminum rivets on my stainless steel muffler. basicallyi'm worried about the diferent expansion rates for the metals as i don't want to have to redo the rivets if they somehow loosend up because of heat-cycling. Thanks guys!

go to a place that rents tool like home depot and rent a good rivit tool, its cheap and I would mix metals. If thast what came in the kit, use them.

Comment

you know what I didn't even think of trying to rent a rivet gun. I'll have to look into that. Thanks

Comment

You can use that rivet gun to pull steel rivets. I use mine to pull cherrymax rivets for aircraft, and those are some hard steel stems. Just have to squeeze really hard.

A better suggestion would be to tap the holes and use bolts like I do. That way if you have to redo the packing, just unscrew the bolts.
        Eric
        2005 GSX-R 750

Comment

Hows aboot welding it together!

Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

this may sound stupid but would welding it be anydifferent than rivets?

Comment

Yes . You can always drill out the rivets , but welding would be a little tougher to take it apart ...
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
              X