Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Help! throttle cable adjustment gone wrong!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! throttle cable adjustment gone wrong!!!

I bought this bike not long ago, a 2001 katana 600. I had been noticing that when i turned the handlebars to the right, the bike would rev up rpms. I thought adjusting the throttle cables using the adjustments on the handlebars might make a difference. However when i did this, the bike sounded alot different, the exhaust fumes were stronger, the tachometer was going haywire, and when you put it in first gear to drive and give it gas, it dies. Any suggestions????

Any chance you remember how much you adjusted it? so you can un-adjust it?
    Kyle

Comment

This might be a dumb question, but did you make sure you adjusted the throttle cable and not another cable or adjuster? Sounds more like you might have adjusted the choke or idle adjustment screw......

Comment

well, now it wont start.... and yes i was adjusting the idle, but ive tried putting it back and it wont even start now. The only two adjusters i was tampering with were the ones for the cables leading to the right handlebar. Now when i try to start it, it only clicks, but the battery has a good charge. Im an amatuer with bikes, so any info would prob help.

Comment

MOving this too mechanics forum

Comment

If you did adjust the choke cable somehow by mistake, that would explain alot w/ high rpm's and exhaust fumes.

Comment

the throttle cable should be adjusted so you have 2-4 mm of play. your idle rising when you turned the bars means it was too tight.

the clicking probably means your battery has run down - charge it or jump it with a car ( car not running )

once you get it running & warmed up - adjust the throttle cable as stated above & adjust the return cable so it snaps the throttle all the way closed the adjust the idle to 1200rpms.

tim

Comment

ok, well this morning i adjusted the idler and everything is back to square one. So all i need to do is adjust the throttle cable, because it is revving when i turn the bars to the right. Now, being a noobie, the throttle adjuster is the knob on the right handlebar that is closer to you when your in the seat???

Comment

Originally posted by hardcorekat
                  ok, well this morning i adjusted the idler and everything is back to square one. So all i need to do is adjust the throttle cable, because it is revving when i turn the bars to the right. Now, being a noobie, the throttle adjuster is the knob on the right handlebar that is closer to you when your in the seat???
                  On the 98+ Kats there are four throttle cable adjustors. Two major ones (one for each throttle cable) at the carb-end of the cable-sheaths, plus two minor adjusters at the throttle-end of the cable shealths that are plastic dials. Turning the dials counterclockwise should rotate them inwards towards the controls, releasing pressure on the sheath and loosening the cables. If they are already rotated all the way inwards and you still get the increase in RPM when you turn the handlebars, the gas tank will need to come off and the adjustment will need to be made at the other end of the cables.
                  Adjusted perfectly, turning the handlebars will not cause the RPM's to alter, and there will be not more than a single mm of slop at the throttle (i.e. - rotation before the RPM's start to climb in response). I have found that if adjusted properly, with the engine off, when I rotate the throttle and release, I will hear a distinct click as the carb throttle control bar returns to it's stop position... when I can't hear the click, they're too tight.

Based on my experiences, usually it's just one of the two cables that most people have adjusted too tightly.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

hey, thanks all for the help! Anybody know where i could get some affordable insurance on a not so perfect driving record??????? Workin on getting my licnence re-instated. I hafta file sr-22 with insurance co.

Comment

Working...
                    X