Ivan's Jet Kit installed on my 750!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivan's Jet Kit installed on my 750!

I'm a very happy man, so is my KAT.

I was running with a K&N filter and a Carbon Can Co slip on, until I order a jet kit from Ivan, as apposed to the Dynojet kit and K&N jet kit. After doing a lot of reading and asking a lot of questions I decided to take it to the Pros to install, so off to HM Racing I went.

When the above setup was dyno'd I was getting 84.0bhp Max power at 11500rpm, and the fuel mixture was very, very rich.

They then installed Ivan's jet kit to his specifications, so now it was set up with the stock filter and the needles where set on position #4.
    This set up was still not correct as the fuel mixture was still very rich. They then decided to change the Pilot jet's to 107 as apposed to using 110.
    They also changed the needle clip position to #3 then again to #2.

The new set up was much better with the fuel mixture almost perfect and #2 clip position on the needle, with the stock air filter.

When this was dyno’d I was getting 86.0bhp Max power at 11500rpm. I rode the bike home and could not get over how different it feels. It is so much more responsive and oh so smoooooooooooth, when idling the bike is quite and smooth, On the twisties the power is more responsive and there when you need it. All in all I’m very happy with my bike. :mrgreen:

Tokalosh

congrats. that sounds like one mod I'd like to do
    rock
    always working on mods

Comment

i cant wait to do a jetkit on my bike
      ------------------------------------------------------
      Lean in Lean out.
      ------------------------------------------------------
      1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
      2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD
      2000 TL1000RR silver, SOLD
      2000 yamaha R1 red katana

-------------------------------------------------------

Comment

thats amazing - lowering the pilot & the needle. most bikes are tuned lean for emissions from the factory. your the first person thats posted lowering even farther the idle circuit.

tim

Comment

Lucky for us in the UK, we are not tested for emissions on bikes.

I would post some pictures up but the site tells me I've reached my 2MB limit, cant work it out as I've deleted most of my pictures, some help would be great.

Tokalosh

Comment

Originally posted by Tokalosh
            Lucky for us in the UK, we are not tested for emissions on bikes.

I would post some pictures up but the site tells me I've reached my 2MB limit, cant work it out as I've deleted most of my pictures, some help would be great.

Tokalosh
            (A) I can host pics for you. Email them to me.

(B) When I installed Ivan's 750 kit in Malloc's, we ran into the same "too rich" issue and simply turning back the pilot set-screw a half turn pretty much cured it. Ditto on my 600 (again turning them back to 3-1/2 turns out instead of 4 seemingly took care of it).
            I suspect that a lot of that has to do with the time of year Ivan designed the kits -- the fuel in the northeast USA was winter fuel at the time, which has MTBE (oxygenators) in it for pollution control and a higher-than-average amount of aeromatics (because they won't evaporate as readily in the winter)... But I'd have to slap both bikes on a proper exhaust analyzer to really know for sure if I tuned them perfectly, or left them running a bit rich (but they haven't fouled any plugs in 3-4k miles).

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i'd like to see the dyno sheet ( sniffer readings )

tim

Comment

This post has now been updated please see above.

Tokalosh

Comment

Might as well post mine as well...
                  Results were: carb settings good, could use a 1/2 shim on each needle. Ivan also suggested cutting down the stock springs 1/3rd of the way, but I couldn't bring myself to do so...
                  This run is bike hot (205 degree oil temp), really hot garage (97 degrees, ramping up to 104 at times), high humidity day, chain slack as hell (intentionally for other reasons).

Note this does not display torque; this print out displays HP and Air-Fuel ratios, which is what I wanted (to see if it's going lean/rich/etc).

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

where is the pre98 750 kit?
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                    Who knows what is next?
                    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Update: I just got off the phone with Ivan, and he sez...
                      "that big dip [in the fuel-air ratio around the halfway mark] is a combination of a bad resonance in the exhaust and the fact that some DynoJet's Dyno's [including this model] use a load control that is artificially high". He asked if I could get it run again with the load-control off (since the drum weight alone is 800lbs), in which case he would expect the major dip half way through the RPM range to become a very small downward dimple instead.

He also again re-emphasized the idea of using a weaker spring or cutting the stock springs down -- said it would reduce that off-idle initial drop depth and increase the speed of the rebound upward as the engine starts to compensate for the throttle coming wide-open. I'm going to talk to the dyno guy later this week and see if I can get him to run it again with the load-control turned off to see what happens.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                        where is the pre98 750 kit?
                        Is there one? Did you bring him a pre-98 750?
                        Go the easy route: swap to the post-98 carbs :P

=-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          Update: I just got off the phone with Ivan, and he sez...
                          "that big dip [in the fuel-air ratio around the halfway mark] is a combination of a bad resonance in the exhaust and the fact that some DynoJet's Dyno's [including this model] use a load control that is artificially high". He asked if I could get it run again with the load-control off (since the drum weight alone is 800lbs), in which case he would expect the major dip half way through the RPM range to become a very small downward dimple instead.

He also again re-emphasized the idea of using a weaker spring or cutting the stock springs down -- said it would reduce that off-idle initial drop depth and increase the speed of the rebound upward as the engine starts to compensate for the throttle coming wide-open. I'm going to talk to the dyno guy later this week and see if I can get him to run it again with the load-control turned off to see what happens.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          thanks for posting that CP - interesting results & shows why fine tuning is important.

i will only add that with the dynokit i used (k$n label ) it came with new springs that i thought were a bit stiffer. the instructions stated you could use them or not ( i did ). i've never been able to 'tune' out the off idle problem - it would be interesting to see a new run with a cut spring.

tim

here's my first run w/ sniffer

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                            here's my first run w/ sniffer
                            Note that the dyno operator (someone I trust quite well -- a mechanical engineers by degree, and former investment analyst turned MMI mechanic) said that although 14.7 was theoretical perfect burn, DynoJet's tuning (both in their jetkits and fine-tuning on the dyno) always targets an idealized 13:1 air-fuel ratio as being optimal for power performance... I was rather amazed at that statement, thinking they would target a 13.8 to 14.2 range... but in retrospect, shooting for 13 should keep it from going too lean (i.e. - above 14.7) even in the worst scenario (high-rpm, shut-throttle decelleration) to keep the engine cooler and more ready to respond to fresh throttle inputs.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

14.7 is neer sea level and anywhere else will be higher. Thus the reason my bike runs richer now than it did in Arizona. Arizona is at sea level in Phoenix or damn close and at 14.7 a pre 98 750 or mine ran 97 hp.
                              TDA Racing/Motorsports
                              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                              Who knows what is next?
                              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                              X