X

Kat and sv1000 oil filters....?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat and sv1000 oil filters....?

Just a quick question. my friend has found 8 new suzuki oil filters for my kat 750 for really really cheap. He wants to know if the kats and 03 sv1000 filters are the same so that he can use them too. i have looked around with no results. So I thought i would ask you guys!!!

thanks
    Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3194800-128287 K&N Powersports Oil Filter (Suzuki SV1000 2003) $12.75 $12.11 $12.11
    3195083-128093 K&N Powersports Oil Filter (Suzuki GSX750F Katana 1998) $12.75 $12.11 $12.11
    According to bikebandit.com they are different part #
    you can also try ronayers.com, they have factory #
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Not the same, although they'll *probably* fit the same mounting location. The SV1000 filter is longer, wider by a bit.
      Oh, and they'll take different oil filter wrenches if I recall, as well...

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ok that helps, but cyber would you recomend using a Kat oil filter on a sv 1000 if it would acually screw on ?????? If the sv's is bigger, then that means more capacity, right? So would it hurt if he used a kat filter on the sv????

thanks alot
        Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blkpitbull
          Ok that helps, but cyber would you recomend using a Kat oil filter on a sv 1000 if it would acually screw on ?????? If the sv's is bigger, then that means more capacity, right? So would it hurt if he used a kat filter on the sv????

thanks alot
          Since I have no clues about the flow-rates and oil pressure at the SV's oil filter connector, I won't recommend it. It could be that the filter is larger because (theoretically) the SV generates less oil pressure, and thus the bigger area is needed to get the same flow... what if it then turns out the SV filter isn't designed to handle the (theoretically) higher pressures the Kat puts out and the filter starts to give out?

OEM oil filters are cheap enough if you buy them wisely (mail order or in bulk, or find a cheaper dealer), especially when you consider the OEM filter is good for 3 oil changes (see your owner's manual)... If you really want to save some pennies and be smart about it, find out the Toyo Roki cross-reference part number for the filters and simply order them from Toyo Roki (since they manufacture the Kat OEM oil filter for Suzuki).

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

your right, thanks guys!!!!

Comment

Cyberpoet,

Any chance there is a bigger filter for the 98+ 600 Kat that would fit?
              I figure a bigger oil filter could be even better for the Kat then all the cars/trucks I have increased filter size on.

Comment

Originally posted by Twofstkat
                Cyberpoet,

Any chance there is a bigger filter for the 98+ 600 Kat that would fit?
                I figure a bigger oil filter could be even better for the Kat then all the cars/trucks I have increased filter size on.
                Not that I'm aware of. In theory you could do a remote oil filter conversion (as you might on a diesel engine) and put just about any filter on there, but the fact remains that for oil-air cooled engine applications, the filter needs to have some special considerations in construction (such as temperature resistance of the subcomponents & any adhesives used). I've had the stock filter open and examined it, and I have to say it is exceptionally well built.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Found this online a while ago. I can't comment on the accuracy since no one carries most of the filters listed lol.

Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
                    Found this online a while ago. I can't comment on the accuracy since no one carries most of the filters listed lol.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html
                    That is a useful link. You obviously must not live near an Autozone, NAPA, CarQuest, Walmart, or Pep Boys or not have access to the Internet since you can't find most of the filters.

Mike
                    '01 Bandit 1200
                    '82 Yamaha XT250

Comment

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html
                      Note that while all of the filters may physically fit, they may not all be up to the task at hand (specifically the oil temps or the filtration levels). Rider magazine has published reports of the FRAM's adhesives liquifying on a goldwing and resolidifying in the block when the engine cooled again -- and a goldwing is a water cooled motorcycle; the odds of it being a possible problem on a Kat could be significantly higher.
                      Also note that Toyo Roki's oil filter (i.e. - Suzuki OEM) is the only one rated for three oil changes, thus the actual per-change cost on it drops to lower than any of the other "better" quality filters for the bike.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by BlackB12
                        That is a useful link. You obviously must not live near an Autozone, NAPA, CarQuest, Walmart, or Pep Boys or not have access to the Internet since you can't find most of the filters.

Mike
                        I should have added "haven't found them locally" to my post. Autozone had 1 filter on the list a Fram if I remember, Walmart had none, Crappy tire, again none.

Happens when you live in the boonies I guess .
                        Kyle

Comment

I should have added "haven't found them locally" to my post. Autozone had 1 filter on the list a Fram if I remember, Walmart had none, Crappy tire, again none.

Happens when you live in the boonies I guess .
                          OEM 98+ Oil Filter, RonAyers.com, $9.98 each. Order half a dozen to save on shipping

OEM 90-97 Oil Filter, discontinued, RonAyers.com, $11.02 each -- no clue if they still have these in stock (they have sent me items marked "discontinued" on the fiches before when they physically could get them or had them in the warehouse).

PS - no clue what the differences are between the old and new filters.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The fiche page I use shows it this way when I look at the oil filter for the 88 Katana 600:
                            16510-06B01
                            -> updated part number 16510-34E00 (the 98+ filter)
                            -> updated part number 16510-03G00-X07 (the current filter for the Katanas and Bandits)

If you look closely at OEM 90-97 Oil Filter, discontinued, RonAyers.com, $11.02 each, you'll see that the part number that shows up as discontinued is the 16510-34E00... which is the 98+ filter superceded by 16510-03G00-X07 (check OEM 98+ Oil Filter, RonAyers.com, $9.98 each). What I don't like with RonAyers is that they don't bring you further to a superceded part of a superceded part...

The 03 SV1000S has the 16510-03G00-X07, as well as the 04+ Kats.

I take it I could safely use whichever of these filters I could find on the pre98's, right? Even though I have no clue what changed. If SpecialK has some laying around, maybe we could ask him to cut them open and see?

So to answer the the original question, the Kat 04+ OEM filters have the same P/N as the SV1000S OEM filters...
                            - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow
                              The fiche page I use shows it this way when I look at the oil filter for the 88 Katana 600:
                              16510-06B01
                              -> updated part number 16510-34E00 (the 98+ filter)
                              -> updated part number 16510-03G00-X07 (the current filter for the Katanas and Bandits)

The 03 SV1000S has the 16510-03G00-X07, as well as the 04+ Kats.
                              When you're right, you're right!

Originally posted by Yellow
                              What I don't like with RonAyers is that they don't bring you further to a superceded part of a superceded part...
                              My expeiences have been that RonAyers starts to list the superceded part in their fiche as soon as they clear their warehouses of the old one...

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X