No announcement yet.
X

New 2005 Kat 600...Questions on mods...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 2005 Kat 600...Questions on mods...

Hey all just picked up a 2005 Kat 600cc. Now I was riding a Ninja 93 600cc but the tranny broke so I bought this nice looking beast. I really like the body and its like the 93 Ninja ride was. The thing is the ninja is ALOT fast on the takeoff. It had alot of work on it. The engine was rebuilt it has a vans ignition system and afew other nice things.

My question is what mods can I do that will give the most bang for the buck. I dont care if the bike hits 150mph....all I want is at least 100mph and mostly all torque. I want that zap feeling taking off

If I want 220mph id buy a super bike lol.

What kind of mods can I do on a new bike just to get its takeoff up? 0-60 is all that matters to me

I dont care about wheelies or tricks just that takeoff launch power!

LOL.

Whats the best to start with for pickup! BTW Hi all!

TECH QUESTION:

When the bike gets warmed up after riding awhile it idles at 2k rpm should I adjust it? The plastic winshield makes alot of rattles when that happens. BTW it has 110 miles on it!
    One of those days? New bike up to early and forget the kickstand on the side? Yeah had one of those it sucks...yea aint stopping it from falling thats for sure!

change sprockets for lowend grunt, -1 down in front and +1 on back. That will help the 0-60 right off the bat. A timing adavancer is another way.
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

yes adjust your idle, 2000 rmps is about double what is should be.

Comment

should be 1200-1300 rpm at idle.

Comment

Hot idle should be about 1200 -1250 on a 49 state model, 1300 - 1400 on a California model.

Power mods:
          Ivan's Performance Products Stage 1 JetKit. Better oomph all over.
          Ignition Advancer (5 degree, contact SpecialK).
          Sprocket ratio changes. See http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/kata...sprockets.html for the full skinny.
          A lower-pumping loss motorcycle motor oil (lets the engine spin up faster), such as Mobil 1 MX4T.
          Chain lube (believe it or not -- makes a slight difference up front, makes a lot of difference in the long run).

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks guys!

Special K???

BTW will exhaust help much? Which sounds best for the Katana! The ninja I know had a muzzy titanium slip-on(BTW does the factory muffler come off?? looks like its got 1 bolt holding it up thats it. How do you get it off?

Ill do the idle for sure right now it just gets way up there!

Anything else that boosts its performace without breaking into the motor?
            One of those days? New bike up to early and forget the kickstand on the side? Yeah had one of those it sucks...yea aint stopping it from falling thats for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Vipermmx
              Thanks guys!

Special K???
              One of the founding members of KR

BTW will exhaust help much? Which sounds best for the Katana! The ninja I know had a muzzy titanium slip-on(BTW does the factory muffler come off?? looks like its got 1 bolt holding it up thats it. How do you get it off?
              (A) Normally you won't get any significant improvement in power with a different exhaust end-can (different story for a full-exhaust). May sound better though I like the hindles the best out of what's available, based on what I heard at the rally last year.

(B) The pipe has a bolt at the rear passenger foot peg, another further forward, plus connectors to the header/collector. My advice would be to remove the lower fairing, then drop the whole exhaust system off. That will let you see everything and understand it.

Anything else that boosts its performace without breaking into the motor?
              Not that I can think of (in terms of power mods), except nitrious...
              You may want to look at braking/handling/comfort mods as well or instead. The first thing that should be changed on your bike is the tires if you're still running on the stock Michelin Macadams -- it will make the single biggest difference of any mod.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i think the slip-on really helps the kat - it's very restrictive. of course i think the 2 brothers racing semi-high pipe is the best out there.

jet kit
                new slip-on & mid pipe
                re-gear
                ignition advance

header for more top end grunt

tim

Comment

What about a kat 750 header wouldnt that be just as good and cheaper on ebay?????

Comment

????

Comment

Working...
                    X