X

spark plugs...........autolite???????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spark plugs...........autolite???????

I went to powersports yesterday and they said the wanted 8 dollars a plug for NGK's I obviously said NO.

So instead I checked a autoparts store in my area that carries some motorcycle stuff. They had autolite plugs for kat's but I noticed the bottoms were different from the NGK's More like a car plug with only ONE firing end verus the 2 that come on the NGK's.

Has anyone tried the autolites??? Or a the kind like im explaining???

BTW the autolites were only 2.99 for 2.

I know I have been using the valvoline motorcycle oil sold in this store which bike shops dont have and it has worked very well at 1.50 a quart. So obviously im wondering about plugs.

i would get the NGK plugs if it was me, but i'm kinda anal over stuff like that.

Comment

+1 get the NGK's they are worth it. I would never run a auto plug in a bike.
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Go by the local auto parts store and see if they can order the NGK's for you. Or visit http://www.sparkplugs.com/ and order them online. My dealership wants $5.75 for the CR9EK's, and the car parts store gets like $4.80 for them last time I checked... There may have been a price bump recently though...
        You can also use the Denso equivilents (look in the back of your owner's manual for the stock number).

Meanwhile, IMHO: do NOT use Splitfire, Autolite, Champion. They are not really designed for oil-air cooled engine applications, and tend to foul very readily in the temp ranges our engines tend to run at (and one rider on KP even said the splitfires hit his piston crown).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

NGK

Comment

yeah autolite are crappy plugs don't go that route, find a better price online or something and go with the NKG's if anything PM me and I'll get them for you at my price, but it will take time for shipping.

Comment

to answer one question, the bottoms(or tops?) screw off and have the right receptacle for your wires. I am using them, but have only been for a week. my buddy got them for me when i asked him to grap a set of plugs while he was at the store. I have always heard ngk was the only thing you should run, but I have nothing to back that up, i would be interested to hear why the plugs are so much better. since everyone swears by them there must be something to warrent it, not doubting just want to know

so experts, why is ngk so much better???

-Tyler

Comment

check denniskirk.com they are $2.50 each
                PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
                The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

because they are designed specifically for your bike, kinda like if you have a GM car-AC Delco plugs, Ford-Motorcraft, etc. believe it or not, engineers spend a lot of time on little things like plugs and how they affect the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by KatDan2
                    because they are designed specifically for your bike, kinda like if you have a GM car-AC Delco plugs, Ford-Motorcraft, etc. believe it or not, engineers spend a lot of time on little things like plugs and how they affect the engine.

this is an area i don't skimp on ( oil either )
                    heat is death to your motor ! ( yes, i paid 8 bucks but have iridium plugs )

tim

Comment

Originally posted by KatDan2
                      Yeah it really is shocking just how much time is spent on spark plug design, you might think it is one of the more generic items on your engine.
                      $8 is out of line though. NGK not only is the spec plug but they have been in the motorcycle plug biz for a long time. It is the simple things more then not you need to take the time with. Gap them carefully, make sure the ground bar is even and well centered, don't drop them, use a bit of anti sieze and touque them as instructed.
                      Take your time on this 45 minute item and you won't have to worry about it when a tuning issue comes up. You can firmly say: I know the plugs are right!

Comment

Well the autolites are made for motorcycles it says right on the package. I dont know about autolites being crap. Ford uses them and alot of race cars do as well. I just didnt know if the combustion would be different have the two heads or one!

Comment

check out this pdf from autolite. It looks like they make them for all brands and models

Comment

Originally posted by techbota
                            check out this pdf from autolite. It looks like they make them for all brands and models

http://cpgcatalog.honeywell.com/auto...otorcycles.pdf
                            That PDF is the perfect example of why not to use Autolite plugs -- they list the same plug as fitting 88 through '03 Kat 600's -- and there was a plug change in the '96 model year that runs through the '05 (diameter plus heat range change -- the pre-96 plug will not fit the post-change models).

Hmmmm...
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Heat range!! thats the biggie..
                              Well I guess diameter too

But I would worry about heat range when you have a bunch of bikes on the same plug..

Comment

Working...
                              X