X

Boiling out gas tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiling out gas tank

Has anyone taken their gas tank to a radiator shop and had it "boiled out"? It seems like a good idea, but don't know how it would affect the paint. I guess if you have rust in your tank, it may out weigh the negatives. If anyone has done it, let me know good or bad.

Nope and aint never heard of it to be honest. when I had rust in my tank and before I coated it. I used muriatic acid with some ball bearings. Shook it up and let it sit for awhile. THat got rid of the rust then used MEK (Methyl ethyl ketone) after I rinsed it out with soap and water to get rid of all moisture then coated it.

But I would be skeptical of getting it boiled unless you are gona repaint it I would hate to see your paint bubble on ya

Good Luck

Comment

I've never heard of boiling out a motorcycle gas tank either.

I do have a webpage on the various methods I am familiar with from years of dealing with bike's rusty gas tanks that might help you:
      CyberPoet's "How to deal with rust in your cycle's fuel tank"

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Never done a motorcycle tank, but I can tell ya it will seriously harm your paint if it even stays on the tank.
        2000 Katana 600
        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

just put a K&N in your gas tank, that'll fix it

Comment

I used that PQ-12 whatever stuff. Took it to a shop and they cleaned it out for me.

Comment

I found an easier alternative to all the acid and such. Wondering if anyone else has used it. It is a product from Rusteco. I read about it in a couple of motorcycle rags, and think that is the way I will go. Seems environmentally friendly, no harmful by-products, and don't have to find any plugs and such. I don't like coatings, because they will fail eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by elkat View Post
                I found an easier alternative to all the acid and such. Wondering if anyone else has used it. It is a product from Rusteco. I read about it in a couple of motorcycle rags, and think that is the way I will go. Seems environmentally friendly, no harmful by-products, and don't have to find any plugs and such. I don't like coatings, because they will fail eventually.
                Never heard of it (as a commercial product) before you mentioned it.

Appears, based on the MSDS sheet info, to be a form of citric acid in a weak dilution (think purified grapefruit juice for example, with water). Straight from the Rusteco MSDS sheet:
                The formulation of the RUSTECO R-200-3 is proprietary and cannot be described beyond saying that it contains a food grade acid, as found in cola drinks.

Thus, given the product's Ph, and the fact that cola drinks typically use citric acid as their primary or sole food-grade acid, it leads me to the conclusion that it is simply citric acid. The fact that citric acid is often used as a chelate agent to remove rust and to remove rusty hard-water spots is common knowledge in the detergent & steel industries (see wikipedia's entry on Citric acid for a more detailed explanation).

I don't see anything wrong with using this product for rust-removal, provided the tank's rust isn't particularly thick/deep...

For a tank with a lot of rust (and possible structural weakness as a result), using a converter product (one that converts rust to magnetite) would be wiser, as magnetite is stronger than steel and would reinforce what steel is left behind.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  just put a K&N in your gas tank, that'll fix it
                  Well that help I been thinking about the K&N. All my buddy's GSXR have them.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
                  sigpic
                  Update Jul 11 2014
                  Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

LOL leave it to Arsenic

Comment

Working...
                    X