X

Brake question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake question

Ok, I've had this noise for a while but didn't know what it was and my brakes appear to work fine. Besides needing new pads. Well, when I apply the front brake a hear a little clicking sound. I haven't thought much about it because I figured it was normal. Until, a friend said that now the brakes on his car are making this same noise. Any suggestions on what it might be? I'm kind of thinking it might be the Master Cylinder but not sure.

Thanks in advance
    -jason

Welcome to Katriders! Click Here to Register

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Is the rotor smooth as silk? I couldn't imagine the cyclinder doing that...

Comment

Re: Brake question

Originally posted by taz
      Ok, I've had this noise for a while... my brakes appear to work fine. When I apply the front brake a hear a little clicking sound.
      It's probably the brake light switch being activated. Easy way to tell -- with the bike not moving, pull the lever. Does the click correspond with the rear brake light coming on?

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

And don't touch the rotor after riding, it gets pretty hot. Ask my index finger, it found out once.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

You should hear a click as the lever comes back I'm surpised you can hear it while riding though..
          You friend hears it in his car too? I bet it's the cruise control switch. (the clutch on the Kat uses a different switch otherwise you would hear it there too)

OR

Did you mean that while on the brakes you hear click,click,click,click,click??
          That is different

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys but yea, while on the brakes i hear click, click, click, click
            -jason

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

Do you hear the click as soon as you apply the brakes? I ask because I heard some strange clicking on my bike almost instantly after I applied the brakes. Turns out it was the brake rotors. One of my brake pistons wasn't coming out either due to dirt causing unveven wear on my pads. The rotors were too loose at the floating rings so everytime I applied the brakes the rotors slipped a bit and the click was when it slid to the other end.

A good test is to check your brake pad wear to see where the problem starts.
              1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

well, i hear it as soon as i apply the brakes yes. its basically a constant thing as long as i am holding down the brake lever. i'm gonna do some checks on it this evening. if its not raining i'll get it out on the street i live on and see exactly when its happening and if anything makes it worse. i'll post updates as soon as i have them.
                -jason

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

I'd tear apart the brakes, IE: remove the pads and associated hardware, clean the heck out of everything , check the pads, (replace if worn), and re-install everything.................don't forget to clean the sides and edges of the those pistons real good! (I use an old small kids tooth brush and brake Clean, then air). 8)
                  I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                  Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                  Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

maybe one of the rivets that holds the pad on is clicking in the holes on the rotor? I'd definately change the pads and have the rotors turned or replaced. If it's time to change the pads anyways, what are you waiting for?

Comment

Originally posted by Special K
                      I'd tear apart the brakes, IE: remove the pads and associated hardware, clean the heck out of everything , check the pads, (replace if worn), and re-install everything.................don't forget to clean the sides and edges of the those pistons real good! (I use an old small kids tooth brush and brake Clean, then air). 8)
                      +1 to the cleaning.
                      +1 to kids tooth brushes! (I have lots!)
                      Add: If cleaning the pistons go ahead and replace the seals.
                      Don't forget the little o-ring between the caliper halves.
                      Also clean the pad locating pins real well.
                      Rebuilding the calipers can be a PIA but once it's done you have 4 years of confidence in them..

Comment

Originally posted by taz
                        Thanks for the responses guys but yea, while on the brakes i hear click, click, click, click
                        Note that aside from being your brakes (likely candidate warped rotor from a non-retracting or uneven caliper piston movement), it could also be the wheel bearings or the steering stem bearing moving with the added stress, if either of these is failing or loose.

To check the rotor run-out the simple way (i.e. - you don't have all the tools in the universe), put the bike on the center stand, strap down the back or jackup the front (get the front wheel off the ground), put the wheel all the way over to one side, then put a pencil on a cardboard box with the tip against the rotor. Spin the wheel slowly; as any high spots come by, they should push the pencil backwards, letting you see the differences between the highest and lowest spot in the rotor.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

So, what was it?

Curious
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

well, its still happening and i'm just waiting for the rotors from spedee. once i get them and install 'em we'll see if that corrects the problem. will be replacing the brake pads at the same time. but .. the issue is that its a very faint clicking sound when i am applying my brakes. can only hear it at low speeds.
                            -jason

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

Working...
                            X