X

Installed a K&N AirFilter but then...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed a K&N AirFilter but then...

OK, I did it. But before you jump me. Let me tell you. Some of you might have read my other post about me getting a used Yosh RS-3 for $50 well after alot of cleaning it looks great.( Pics coming soon) The guy also had a K&N for $20 never been open but it is old the box was brown but the airfilter looks great all instrutions and waranty still in the box heck even a sticker. I said well why not. So I installed it today.

So I crank it up. No real different poping the throttle at idle. So I take off down the road. I red lining everything gear till about 80mph nothing special yet.. So I just started cruising at first kepting the rpm's about 7,000 pop the throttle quick and it blog alittle the picks up in everything gear. It was like that everytime. If I just open it up quick it would blog. But If I was moving WOT no real effect umm. But if you would let go of the grip or slow down for traffic and went WOT again. BLLLOOOGGGG and eventually take off like a rocket. Now I have the Ivan Jet kit, 5 advancer, grinded welds, and the Yosh. And to install another jet just to run the K&N mostly not goin to happen. But I wanted to see what all the pros were talking about and now I know. The funny part is if havn't rode with OEM filter so long and by just sticking the K&N in there. I probably wouldn't know the different ( or really notice the blog say if you brought the bike with a K&N and couldn't compare it). Because it isn't that big of a blog. But comparing the filters in a like 40-100 or 80-100 something like that I know there would be a huge difference in E.T. But 0-100 IDK. I would have to ride back to back swaping filters. But I seem remember still having alittle blog at the beginning of every shift with the K&N

Summary: if you have a jet kit or stock jetting (except holeshot) and you have a K&N just try a clean OEM filter and you will be wondering how you rode so long with the K&N.

Reason why: From what I read on here to. To break it down how I understand it. The K&N flows so freely that the small cc engine can't pull enough vacuum to sux out the fuel from the carbs. Plus with all that extra air it need more fuel. SO really the engine is getting a double boogie becuz it need more fuel but can't pull it becuz it doesn't have enough vacuum.

P.S. Not tommarrow but Wed. I am going to strap my video camara to the back and let you listen to the exhaust. With both Filters. And we will compare.
    Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 03-24-2008, 10:28 PM.
    sigpic
    Update Jul 11 2014
    Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

you think I'm making this K&N stuff up Now you know.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      you think I'm making this K&N stuff up Now you know.
      No just curious. For $20 I figure I would try it. If anything I figure I could sell it on ebay. For $30 or $40 something. And then someone could then tell all there friends they have a K&N and plus they can have a sticker to put on there swingarm or toolbox.
      sigpic
      Update Jul 11 2014
      Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

sweet I have like 4 K&N stickers on my tool box, I used to work at a dealer, everything I put on bikes, the sticker ended up on my box I have like 4 UNI stickers too, and some DJ stickers, I HATE all three of them

Comment

sweet I have like 4 K&N stickers on my tool box, I used to work at a dealer, everything I put on bikes, the sticker ended up on my box I have like 4 UNI stickers too, and some DJ stickers, I HATE all three of them
          I got alot on my box. Some K&N too but they are from the Camaro. Shoot I should start and thread over stickers on tool boxs. I am, tommarrow Im goin to snap a picture of the my tool box and start a thread on stickers. LOL
          sigpic
          Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

I'll have to take one too, I need to buy a top box, number one my roll away doesn't hold all my stuff, number 2 and most importantly, I'm out of sticer room

Comment

well said arsenic

Comment

I'll have to take one too, I need to buy a top box, number one my roll away doesn't hold all my stuff, number 2 and most importantly, I'm out of sticer room
                LOL. I got a craftman 3 part box and it full of random not commonly used tools. So alot of junk just thrown in there. And the roll around. It out of space out far as tools goes. But still as some space for sticker. One reason I love motorcycle it a whole new world. And whole new stickers. I got all the car sticker I want alrdy. But the motorcycle well they are just starting.
                sigpic
                Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

Nice write up even though I wasn't planning on getting a K&N. Just one more reason not to. Thanks for the comparison.
                  Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
                  www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

I dislike K & N filters, but why the hatred of the UNI? I have used these in the past, was considering one for my kat? Imput please.

Comment

it's an after market filter correct? You think it will work in a Katana? Maybe with a stage 3 jet kit.

Comment

HOLY !@#$.. I just did a Jet job, pipe install and put K&N filters on 2 bikes today, and they both have the same prob at 4000 rpm. Arsenic just pointed out they suck on Kats, so here is another testimate... DON't BUY K&N!

Comment

did you switch back to stock? Did it work? Well, I know it worked, just tell everyone it worked.

Comment

Is this problem only present on the small bore Kat's? Or are the 1100's known to suffer from this as well?

Comment

it's not about how big your pistons are, it's about cam lift duration. Since the 1100 Katana's have the same cams as an 88-89 GSXR 750, you'd have to ask mojo, but I really don't think it's AS bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X