X

Wiring turn signal indicators

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring turn signal indicators

My stock 'pod' with all of the indicator lights in it was kinda trashy looking since i am going nekkid anyways i wanted some trick sort of way to mount the lights. i am using the wiring harnes, aluminum square tube, led's and chrome led housings.

My question is that i would rather only have to use 4 of these led's (it wouldn't take up as much space) so i was thinking about just wiring both of the turn signals to one led.

would putting both the positive leads from the turn signals indicators to the positive lead of the led mess anything up? i am not sure how they are wired so my only concern was that the tailights would flash like hazards if they are on the same circut.

Thanks

-Tyler

Tyler, keep in touch with me I'm going naked too..
    Ummm gee that sounds a little weird huh?

Anyway my suggestion?
    If you want only one LED for both turns, best bet is to wire it into the flasher lead. GSXRs had (have??)
    one light in the pod for both turns. (where the Kat has a blank) The flasher module runs to the turn signal switch from there it is sent to the right or left.
    So consult the wireing diagram and tap into the flasher output or turn signal switch input.
    I'm still debating how to go with mine..
    add the light to the pod or remount my modified arrows. Since I just came across a VDO temp gauge and sender (MAN!! I gotta get organized! I frogot I had that!) I may use the space for that.

Comment

Very helpfull, i will go look for a diagram. sounds like it may very well have made me turn signals into flashers

and yes, that does sound a little weird

i would love to see some pictures of what you are going to do or have done or any plans you have

one big question i was wondering about is how you are mounting your guages. what i was planning on doing for the speedometer and gas guage was run a bracket off of the hex head screw from the handle bar on the left side. i already mounted the tach right next to the throttle above the brake resevoir, its different then anything i have seen and in a good position to read so i think i like it. only problem with all the guages is the ugly mounting on the back of them. I painted all the surfaces in flat black which helps somewhat but some sort of guage pod would be ideal.

-Tyler

Comment

Well,
        I'm not going completely naked..
        I'm going to add a "flyscreen"
        with small lights, I'm basing some of my ideas off the Buell fairing.
        Here is a link to the dash I made up.
        I'm hoping to get rid of the "birdcage" but not holding my breath.

I liked the idea of leaving the gauges immobile.
        It beats fighting the twisting of the cables/ wires.
        But ultimately not as clean.
        I'm hoping to run the harness through the frame rather then up and over.

Comment

if you mean steering effort with the twising of the cables I wouldn't worry about it, I can't detect any difference whatsoever.

good idea on the carbon dash, I had the exact same one , however not sure if It will be needed how I want to do it

as far as the upper I also was thinking a bikkini fairing would look really good if for nothing else other then hiding the wires, and had looked around for a buel fairing briefly but didn't see anything (didn't look to hard) I think i can get it to look pretty good using fiberglass but we will see how it turns out. The other function it would hold would be to provide lateral support between my two headlights. hard to explain without a picture so i may have to steal a camera and take a shot or two.

The other area I am going to put something over is the rear sides. i was also planning to use a carbon fiber sheet along with the cut rear fairings to hide wires. i would just use the curved part of the rear sides and a triangle of carbon fiber to cover the rest of the wires. i will take a pic and show kind of what i am talking about with this as well

what do you have planned for your rear sides?

Comment

One note of caution - LED's can be sensitive to voltage direction. In other words, if you hook them up backwards, they won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by nelsonind View Post
              One note of caution - LED's can be sensitive to voltage direction. In other words, if you hook them up backwards, they won't work.
              TRUE DAT!!

AND make sure you determine if a resistor is needed inline with those leds to extend the life of them.
              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Zombie thread...

Really Z.. Have you been gone that long?

Comment

He's just going through the "threads since last visit list"
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post

He's just going through the "threads since last visit list"
                    I hope he's only replying to one thread per every 100 pages or it's gonna be one loooooong session !!
                    Some people are a lot like Slinkys.
                    Not really good for anything, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                      Zombie thread...

Really Z.. Have you been gone that long?
                      Hey butthead... the person above me posted to this yesterday so it was on my list of new posts. i can't help i ahve been gone so long that i forgot how this whole forum posting thing is supposed to work and all.

That and i am trying to catch up. :mrgreen:

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Working...
                      X