Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How to do the timing advance.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to do the timing advance.....

    I've noticed a lot of people have the timing advance mod on their Kat. I have a 98 Kat 600 that I would love to do this on. What is required when doing this....is it mechanically challenging , or next to impossible without shop tools. Thanks guys.
    My sig is boring.

  • #2
    If you buy one of the pre-made advancers, it takes about 10 minutes.
    Required is the allen key for the right hand signal cover, a big metric socket for the retaining nut (22mm? I can't recall the size off the top of my head), and a torque wrench. Remove the cover, unbolt the old one, remove, install the new one, bolt it back down to spec torque. Reinstall cover.

    NOTE: you may have to replace the gasket for the signal cover, depending on whether it tore and/or what condition it is in. If so, add a couple minutes

    PS - the gasket is not included in the kit.

    Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

    Comment


    • #3
      what is the avantage of this timing advancer? except for the obvious(it advances the timing)
      ------------------------------------------------------
      Lean in Lean out.
      ------------------------------------------------------
      1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
      2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD
      2000 TL1000RR silver, SOLD
      2000 yamaha R1 red katana

      -------------------------------------------------------

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by xbubbax
        what is the avantage of this timing advancer? except for the obvious(it advances the timing)
        Hotter combustion by starting the combustion process earlier. Faster engine warm up, more torque at lower RPM's. I haven't been able to determine whether there is a corresponding penalty at the upper RPM ranges, but most riders don't tend to spend their days in the 8.5K+ RPM range.

        Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

        Comment


        • #5
          do you have the change the oil at the same time? on a 97 600 kat that is.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lucky6man
            do you have the change the oil at the same time? on a 97 600 kat that is.
            No, but you may have to add a little afterwards, as there is usually a slow drip at the oil pressure sensor, which sits directly below the advancer. Strictly depends on whether you get stalled during the process (in 10 minutes it should drip less than a shot glass).

            Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

            Comment


            • #7
              and remember, put the bike on the side-stand to avoid a total oil mess.
              - Samuel

              My 1988 Katana 600

              Comment


              • #8
                http://www.pacifier.com/~trinc/katana
                look for your topic

                tim

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Yellow
                  and remember, put the bike on the side-stand to avoid a total oil mess.
                  Actually, my advice contradicts that -- I believe that it is far more stable when trying to remove the nut to have it on the centerstand, if you have one.

                  Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                    If you buy one of the pre-made advancers, it takes about 10 minutes.
                    Required is the allen key for the right hand signal cover, a big metric socket for the retaining nut (22mm? I can't recall the size off the top of my head), and a torque wrench. Remove the cover, unbolt the old one, remove, install the new one, bolt it back down to spec torque. Reinstall cover.

                    NOTE: you may have to replace the gasket for the signal cover, depending on whether it tore and/or what condition it is in. If so, add a couple minutes

                    PS - the gasket is not included in the kit.

                    Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet

                    Yes I am bringing this thread back to life! :smt006

                    I ordered the gasket from Ron Ayers. Any other tips from anyone?

                    I will use my trusty old torque wrench to bolt the nut back on but any other guidance for putting this advancer in? Any pics from anyone?

                    Your help is appreciated!
                    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                    JOHN 16:33

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      it's 19mm not 22mm.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
                        it's 19mm not 22mm.

                        Thanks! So does it just pop in there, no other parts to swap with?
                        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                        JOHN 16:33

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          KS, it's pretty straightforward. You'll see when you take the cover off that there is really nothing to it.


                          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

                          Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                          You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by teddy View Post
                            KS, it's pretty straightforward. You'll see when you take the cover off that there is really nothing to it.
                            Thanks. If I get in a bind, I will jump on KR of course.
                            The gasket should be here next week.
                            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                            JOHN 16:33

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              dude KS, it's really easy, I can do it in my head, it's one bolt dude, you won't get in a bind, but if you do, let me know I can help you.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X