New Katana Owner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Katana Owner

HI everyone!

I just bought myself a nice 88'Katana 600, it came with a couple of mods done to it already like a Vance and Hines Drag Pipe (yes, a drag pipe, the pipe lays straight and parallel to the ground) loud as hell by the way...

The previous owner says its already been rejetted...and it also has K&N filter pods on them.

My question is whats some of the first things I should do to spruce the bike up? (aside from new plugs, oil change, new chain, tires, valve adjustment)...

So far I've pulled the carbs and giving them a good cleaning...The bike idle like crap and had no pulling power at all just lagged the whole way Hopefully the carb cleaning sorts this out....

Is there anything else I should take a look at?...( I know every bike has different quirks and I would like to learn more about the Katana's quirks)

Thanx in advance!

Greetings and welcome,1988, too new for me.
    Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

Welcome! Another 88 owner, you don't see many of them around anymore that you would call "nice"... so here we go,

What's your plans with the bike, to just get it running well or to find every little HP it's got? Well since you're from Sacramento, maybe this is your ticket:

You might want to check out the cam chain tensioner - if the engine is making slapping noises, and you want to make sure your 2nd gear is in order... Otherwise the engine is pretty much bulletproof.

As you maybe already found out, the 88 was the first year of the model - which kind of makes it a bit unique when it comes to parts... they changed quite a few things. For example, now that you are getting a new chain - make sure that the rear sprocket you're getting is for the 88 (if you still have the 88 rims - six-spoked instead of the 89+ three-spoked ones).
      - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Standard 15k mile maintenance:

Oil change, oil filter change, valve adjustment, retorque various bolts to spec, clean/oil the air filters, etc...

Plus:
        flush the brake fluid, check the brake lines & replace if necessary.
        Clean chain, check for wear, replace if necessary

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
        X