dying at idle?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dying at idle?

The bike runs quite fine...
    If I get at a stop and idle for more than 2-3 minutes, the revs slowly drop abd the bike stalls...

Also

I put it in neutral at one point and coulnt get it back in first had to switch to 2nd and then back to first, it wouldnt kick down.

ideas?

Bike been sitting ? Sounds like carbs need some love . Need details about the bike . Was the shifting thing when it was cold ? Mine does that all the time when it's cold , but is fine once warm .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

yea sometimes its tricky to get into 1st/neutral i think its true for all Kats (maybe all bikes) it sometimes helps if you pull in the clutch and roll the bike backwards to help align the gears

Comment

I'm with MD86 on this...

Probable problem: dried fuel residue in the carbs, combined with idle thumbwheel setting set to too low an idle (because of artificially high idle from the dried fuel residues).

Solution (easy): Techron fuel system cleaner, 1/3rd of a bottle to a full tank of gas, plus increase the idle as appropriate.

Solution (harder, faster resolution): remove carbs, disassemble, clean jets and interiors with spray carb cleaner, clean jets again with nylon bristles, spray jets with carb cleaner again, reassemble.

Two other possibilities comes to mind, but if the bike turns over after stalling, these are probably not it:

1. Defective vacuum to the petcock (either defective vacuum line or defective petcock vacuum diaphram). Easy to test: if the bike doesn't do the same thing when switch to PRIME at the petcock, it's the vacuum issue.

2. Charging system output lowwer than expected and/or battery near dead. Check voltages between the battery poles (should be greater than 12.6 with engine off & key out, in the range of 13.2 - 14.7 with engine running).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by icekillah
          yea sometimes its tricky to get into 1st/neutral i think its true for all Kats (maybe all bikes) it sometimes helps if you pull in the clutch and roll the bike backwards to help align the gears
          Uh , I never had that problem on any bike with a properly adjusted clutch ...
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
          X