engine talk: swapping...bandit vs 750 kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine talk: swapping...bandit vs 750 kat

Hey all,

I just want to gab about engines, how they work the way they do...and specifically WHY.

For instance, late model 1200 bandits have a horsepower rating of 98 or so, while my 93 600 katana supposedly had 86 hp from the factory. Why such a small change in HP with doubling of displacement? I know the bandits are WAAAY more torquey than the kats...are they camed differently and is the stroke longer etc?

I'm trying to learn and gather information for a future engine swap. I'm thinking about going up to a late 750 Kat or maybe a bandit....looking for some pros and cons; a little comparitive analysis.

thanks for the input.

the best thing that i can tell u is search the site because engine swapps are a sticky on all the boards, and i can tell u that a little thought an a google search is more helpful sometimes than a forum board.

i say this because no one is probally going to answer this post because of the obvious resaons.

try a search 1st and if u dont come up with anything come on back and try again, but i know for a FACT that you'll be able to find alot on bandit's on the internet and all your katana info right here.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Lean in Lean out.
    1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
    2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD
    2000 TL1000RR silver, SOLD
    2000 yamaha R1 red katana

-------------------------------------------------------

Comment

This is a fairly common topic...the search function makes finding info on the board a bit easier. A few people on KR have done similar swaps and all say it was relatively straightforward and the benefits were high. Check this thread.

Comment

I think your HP numbers are a bit off, no stock Kat would put 86 on the wheel. The B12 might well enough put out around 98 stock, though, from what I've seen... Then you would find that the cam on the Bandit is milder, and that the GSXR cam is more aggressive, than the Kat...

If you want to learn more about the Bandit engine, check out some Bandit forums (Maximum-Suzuki comes to mind)...
        - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Well, I am not sure what the HP of the Bandit engine is, but I have recently put a 88/89 Gixxer 1100 engine into my kat. According to Keith, the Kabana would still give it a run for its money. I also know that stock, that engine puts out 146-152 hp. So the Bandit has to be higher than the number you found. Also, the Bandit will have a lot more torque than my 1100 engine.

They way I look at is like this.

I had a 750. I wanted a bigger bike, but I didn't want to give up the comfort of my Kat. I also didn't want a bike payment as my bike is bought and paid for since the day I got it. Just seem to make more sense in getting a big engine rather than a whole new bike.

Benifits will be more HP and Torque. I can't really see any downfalls. Maybe a bit less gas milage? Also maybe your ability to handle such power?

I am a big guy, and I need a big bike. I also like to do long rides so the Kat is a great choice for me. I am not really into stunting, but I am into going fast. So the machine I have now really fits me all the way around.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Hey Lou, not to be a pessimist, but set your mind on 125 hp at the wheel and you might get a slight positive surprise when/if you dyno it... ~150 sounds a little optimistic to me. And most stock Bandits dyno at 95-100.
            - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow
              Hey Lou, not to be a pessimist, but set your mind on 125 hp at the wheel and you might get a slight positive surprise when/if you dyno it... ~150 sounds a little optimistic to me. And most stock Bandits dyno at 95-100.
              Yeah, I knew it would be lower than that at the wheel. That is just what Suzuki had it listed for. I am also doing a stage 3 jet kit, V&H SS2-R exhaust, and pods. I can't wait to get her out!
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                Originally posted by Yellow
                Yeah, I knew it would be lower than that at the wheel. That is just what Suzuki had it listed for. I am also doing a stage 3 jet kit, V&H SS2-R exhaust, and pods. I can't wait to get her out!
                Just to mess a bit more with you, Lou:

When do we get to see her?
                - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

yes when looking at HP on a bike you must always look a HP at the wheel not at the 1st sprocket. you'll have a much more accurate readings with the rest of the world.
                  Lean in Lean out.
                  1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
                  2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD
                  2000 TL1000RR silver, SOLD
                  2000 yamaha R1 red katana

-------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I've ridden a Gix 1100 and it doesn't put 150 to the tire by any means... now an 05 gix 1K, that is another thing altogether.... I kinda thought the Gix 1100 was a little underwhelming to be honest. Believe me, they are faaaast, but all that power is on the top end, below 6K there is nothing going on. Plus I hated trying to turn that big rear tire.

The big difference is that the bandit is tuned for low end torque and midrange power. It is not trying to make monster hp at 10k rpms...

One other thing to bear in mind is that the bandit is a 5 speed, the gix 1100 is a 6 speed...

I don't think I would bother making a 600 katana into a 750 katana. If you really want a 750, find a first gen gixxer 750 engine and use that instead. It must be the oil cooled gixxer, the later water cooled motors will not work.

Also, look at Holeshot.com under the Bandit 1200 engine mods. I think a Dale Walker kitted bandit 1200 motor in a katana would be awesome. He has some 140+hp items available.
                    I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Working...
                    X