X

how do you remove the front wheel on pre 98 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you remove the front wheel on pre 98 750

i need to take tire and rim off to get new tires put on but i dont know what to do so what all do i need to do?
    "LOOK EARL ITS KARMA'S ARMY MADE UP OF THE PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD"

Have bike UP on stand or puller or lift for front off ground about 3-6"
    Then:
    Remove front brakes. 14mm bolts (they have Loc-Tite on them!)
    Then:
    Pull cotter pin
    Remove axle nut. 22m?
    Loosen up axle keeper bolt on one fork (runs from front to back)
    Push axle out
    Take notice of WHICH spacer goes to which side...........Large diameter one which is flatter goes on left side (old speedo drive side from early Kats)
    Remove tire & rim. If you're bike is not up high enough you'll have to tilt it to one side as you roll it out.........

Repeat in reverse for install.

USE Loc-Tite on those brake bolts and re-torque to manual specs!
    I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
    Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
    Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Just a small hijack with a question for Keith: is there a trick to avoid having to take off the bleeder screws from the brake calipers? I need to do it on the left side to be able to slide it out between the disc and the rim (I already scratched the paint on the rim with the bleeder screw trying ), and I hate getting brake fluid everywhere and having to bleed the system. On the right side I can just barely get it off (while scratching the paint, doh). That is with the 88 rim however... the 89+ rims might have more clearance (the Suzuki engineers maybe got smart).
      - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

ok in my clymer it says ihave to take the brake line off and a whole bunch of other stuff and that i should put a piece of wood up inthe brake to keep it from closing

Comment

Originally posted by bigtwan251975
          ok in my clymer it says ihave to take the brake line off and a whole bunch of other stuff and that i should put a piece of wood up inthe brake to keep it from closing
          You don't need to take the brake line off, but it is a good idea to support the caliper somehow (hang it in a string or something) to take the load off the line... It might be a good idea to put something between the pads, if you're not sure that noone will touch the brake lever! Better safe than sorry...
          - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

ok now how about the rear tire and rim

Comment

1) Put the bike on its centerstand
              2) Remove the cotter pin from the axle nut
              3) Remove the axle nut
              4) Make a note of the spacer locations
              5) Remove the axle while supporting the wheel with your foot
              6) Remove the wheel

Comment

why in the he@# does the maunel have to make things seem so hard i hate cylmer maunel

Comment

Probably because the writers are getting paid by the word. I wish all manuals were written using the "KISS" principle.

Comment

Working...
                  X